Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the best approach to make 3D action figure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironhorse23

Technical User
Oct 8, 2005
CA
Hi,
1. I was wondering how would i go about creating a 3D action figure. I am not looking to create detailed figure. but i do want basic shapes. Then i would want to dress the figure in a business suit.
2. Do i need other programs to do this or can I do it all in Illustrator?

The Best 3D Programs would be modeling programs - 3D Studio MAX, Lightwave, Ect . . . They are pretty expensive but as Eggles said Illustrator is for 2D work, even though it has the ability to look 3-D.

ya, i just wanted to look 3D.
I am assuming modelling would take too long.

Well it depends on what you think is too long, what you need (or want) this for - but Illustrator doesn't really do 3-D for Action Figures. The 3D Studio Max is (hearsay) easy to pick up. But I am not an advocate of any particular Modeling program. Good Luck with your project.

If you don't know how to use Illustrator it will take you long too...

I suggest that you get a 3D program - a FREE one, such as Blender ( - to do at least the basic shapes and get a real 3D look. Then, if doing the suit is too much for you, can export your model and add the clothes in Illustrator.

Ok - So I have an idea, it isn't original and it should have been our first answer - Use gradient meshes like this artist:

And good luck! :)

InDesign CS, Photoshop CS, Illustrator CS, Acrobat 7
Windows XP & MAC OS X (Yes I Use Both, Not at the Same Time)

Also using 3D - Bevel and Emboss under Effect will be very blocky but will work too.

HTH

InDesign CS, Photoshop CS, Illustrator CS, Acrobat 7
Windows XP & MAC OS X (Yes I Use Both, Not at the Same Time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back