Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the backup procedure on the S8300 to FTP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irvineguy

MIS
Feb 7, 2006
US
I'm having trouble finding documentation to do the back up via FTP, thanks!

Launch the "Maintenance Web Page", after logging with a web browser to the S-Series Server

Click "Backup Now"

Click "Network Device"
Method: FTP (pull down)
User Name: anonymous (usually this works)
Password: whatever (doesn't matter)
Host Name: x.x.x.x (IP address of your FTP server)
Directory: / (usually the root "/" is fine)

keep in mind, if you are trying to use FTP for the S-Series server, it has to be enabled, in the "Server Access" page, and, it only stays enabled for about 15 minutes. A better choice is to use "SCP", use a valid CM login, and backup to the /var/home/ftp/pub directory.

BTW How do I know I have an S Series server?

I did fill out the backup fields but then I get a error. This the error:

w_dobkupnow:2: Unable to retreive the backup command

Where can I look up this error?

What Release is your S8300? Some of the older Releases did not work very well. If you haev an S8300, that is an S-Series server.

Like I said, you need to use an external FTP server, for this to be effective. If you have access to a Windows 2003 server, and someone has installed IIS on it, that also usually installs the Microsoft FTP server. I have backed up S8300's to this FTP server, so I know it works. You can test it from a PC on your LAN, open a DOS prompt and type "FTP X.X.X.X" (where the X's are the IP address of your FTP server). Make sure you can log into in via anonymous/anonymous, and try to "put" a file, see if it works. You have to take things 1 step at a time, and verify it works from a PC first.. then try and get it working on thr S8300.

Mitch

I'm on version 4.0.1 and on the Server Access page the FTP Server (21) service state is set at Disable

Do I need to change that to Enable?

If you are trying to FTP to the S8300, yes, you would have to enable it, however, it does NOT stay enabled. After about 15 minutes, the service automaticlly disables itself. This is why I suggest you use an external FTP server. If you are trying to make nightly backups, it won't work unless you use an external FTP server (because the internal FTP service won't be running), or you could use "SCP" (Secure Copy).

It is far better to use an external backup FTP server/SCP server, because if your 2GB CF get's corrupted, you're backups will be useless. Better to have them on an external source. The 2GB (4GB on the S8300C) Compact Flash card is where linux & Communication Manager is stored..

mitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back