Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is my job title? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESquared

Programmer
Dec 23, 2003
US
In another thread people were discussing what a Programmer Analyst is vs. an Analyst Programmer.

Well, I sort of do those things but my official job title is Systems Analyst. What would you call me?

- I write small programs that don't need to be passed off to official development, for example I wrote a tool to submit orders to our web application in bulk via XML, reading from an Excel spreadsheet.
- I am the primary report writer and generator.
- I am at least peripherally involved in testing new enhancements from the developers because 1) I always see things no one else does and 2) I am good at getting into the guts and seeing what's happening in a way others are not.
- I have been given responsibility for some new areas of development on our SQL Server database, for example I just spent three months reconfiguring how order data is handled and will soon be redoing our entire invoicing system, back and front end.
- The accounting department relies on me to keep the old invoicing system limping along, and every month I have to fix or add something to the ickiest mess of macros and queries and reports in MS Access that I've ever seen.
- I'm the primary driver of projects based on problems I notice in the system... data orphans, past enhancements that have logic loopholes, overlapping data in archives, whoops 70000 spurious records created, etc. I also sometimes end up driving projects the IT Manager should be driving when he doesn't seem to be doing anything on them.
- I've developed some pretty complex Acrobat forms and .asp form receiving pages. I bring up issues no one else thought of like, "um, we can't accept credit card numbers unless we submit them over the internet securely."
- I am kind of the resident memory cube, so when an issue comes up and everyone else looks blank, I remind everyone what the deal was, why we were doing the project, why we wanted the enhancement, etc.
- I advise the person with the title of database administrator, because I know more, but leave her to do most of the work. For example, we were using the full recovery model but not backing up transaction logs except right after a full backup (!?), and at my prompting she changed it and we now are doing so every two hours.
- I am not desktop support, but I do sometimes help people with problems when support is unavailable.

I apologize if I've been at all arrogant in these descriptions. I can only plead that it's late... I'm tired... I'm frustrated. And while this isn't a résumé, that reminds me... I should update mine before I forget half my accomplishments here.

-------------------------------------
It is better to have honor than a good reputation.
(Reputation is what other people think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.)

Some years ago people starting giving themselves all sorts of job titles - systems designer, systems architect, etc.

On external courses I used to call myself a systems builder, a systems brickie or a systems labourer just to annoy the organisers.

I've always liked Programmer-at-Arms - came across it in some Sci-Fi once.

Sounds a bit like my job... and the combinations of buzzwords and managerspeak they came up with to give me a job title is "Operational and Systems Support Analyst" - although this seems to change weekly (as they seem to think adding another buzz work makes up for only paying me special case wages)

Simon

"I do not have to forgive my enemies. I have had them all shot."
- Ramon Maria Narvaez

Some hats I have worn:

Software Developer
Software Engineer
Architect (something or other)
Tech Support Guy
Systems Programmer Analyst (and its many variations)
etc.

In truth, I end up doing whatever is needed for the project at hand, regardless of the title.

In IT, titles are usually a device to make one feel warm and fuzzy inside, but there is really no consensus (oops!) in their meaning.

Well this should make you guys smile ..

I've been given a title, but had to write my own job description ...

How is that for lame
[flowerface]

I was standing in the park, wondering why frisbees got bigger as they came closer... then it hit me!

I'd love to write my own job description - I'd miss off anything I didn't like doing :D

I actually got given mine this week, after being in this role 8 months! I quite like the variety of work, but it's a shame the pay is so appalling.

Key Responsibilities

Systems Administration
- To administer the configuration of business systems e.g. Heat, Goldmine and Middleware, user set up, reference data tables, and form design, and day to day data updates.
- To configure and test XDAII's and related hardware/software, keeping accurate records of such.

Systems Support
- To act as first point of contact for all incidents relating to both XDA's and externally supported systems. Ensure all incidents understood, logged, actions taken to resolve and/or assigned to the appropriate person/supplier for resolution.

Costs Management
- Manage I.T. orders, deliveries and returns. Track all I.T. costs from ACE and 3rd parties. Track and manage work orders and change requests.
- Asset management of all business hardware and accessories.
- Manage I.T Systems licensing records, ensuring that all required licenses for systems are up to date.

Telecoms
- Track billing analysis, manage the policing of the procedures within The Corporation imposed by The Parent Corporation I.S and transport functions.

Report Writing
- Provide a Crystal Report Writing function to the business, to include a scheduling of live reports.
- Manage and communicate I.T. Department scorecards

Project Work
- Undertake any project work allocated to this job role in accordance with the departments schedules and allocation.
- To prepare and run test scripts for User Acceptance Testing of systems. This will require using Test Servers and Databases which will require maintenance by the Analyst.

Challenge
- Challenge and document any department processes and solutions.
- To assist the Business Analyst in sourcing potential supplier of systems and hardware.
- Assist the Business Analyst in identifying future change requirements to move the business forward and/or reduce running costs.

I've also been told I need to start acting like a manager but as all of ours lie, cheat, skive, bulls**t and generally do as little as possible I don't see this as a problem ;)

Simon

"I do not have to forgive my enemies. I have had them all shot."
- Ramon Maria Narvaez

In the past, I've done exactly the same role. Smaller companies and isolated business units in large companies can't afford to have an IT org large enough to specialize. The job title concept doesn't really apply.

I just call myself a Systems Analyst or Business Analyst, but on a resume, I categorize my job functions and put them under "real" job titles.

ESquared,

Welcome to reality. IT job positions nowadays are doing more jobs compared to what they've been decades ago. For example, many Programmers of this present time are doing jobs that used to be done exclusively by at least the following positions:
[tt]
- Systems Analyst - Mostly do operations research
jobs; Conducts studies on current systems and the
interactions within; Identifies problems and proposes
changes if necessary (conducts feasibility studies of
alternative solutions)
- Software Engineer - Creates systems design (and
usually gets information from the results of studies
done by Systems Analysts), database structure,
project planning and management, testing,
implementation and maintenance; Coordinates with
hardware engineers, and handles a group of programmers
or coordinates with the Senior Programmer
- Applications Programmer - Writes application
programs based on specs given by the Software Engineer;
a Senior Programmer handles a group of programmers,
coordinates directly with the Software Engineer, and
conducts user trainings.
- Database Administrator - Creates and maintains
databases based on specs given by Software Engineer;
Coordinates with programmers and users
[/tt]
The tasks you mentioned are normal for typical programmers of today. I myself as an Analyst Programmer do the jobs of a computer hardware technician as well. You may be surprised if I tell you I also had to teach my employer do their marketing strategies, human resources management, customer relations management, and workplace safety measures. And there's one thing I realized working here in the US...computer persons here had to do blue-collar jobs too. It's a good thing I'm a bit athletic type of IT professional.

>in the US...computer persons here had to do blue-collar jobs too

Facing a looming strike of its telephone workers, Verizon recently trained its programmers in the fine art of telephone lines repair - complete with cherry picker equiped trucks.

Thanks for the response, medic. It was helpful to see the breakdown of these four job areas.

(Reputation is what other people think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.)

When I started, in the 1970s, Systems Analysts worked out how a job was to be done and wrote specifications. Programmers coded them, or rather they wrote code on sheets of paper, which was separately put onto cards or paper tape by ladies called 'Punch Girls'.

Once on-line access became normal, and languages got higher-level, the role of coder and analyst merged. Rather, most analysts also coded, and it was often easier for them to write the code themselves rather than explain it in sufficient detail for someone else to do it.

I've worked within structures like the one medic describes. It is just one method of working, and it depends a lot on what you are doing.

It also makes a difference whether you are writing something from scratch or adapted an existing system. Or looking for faults in an existing system.

Myself, I like to stay close to the machines. When a machine does the wrong thing, there is at least no malice in it.

------------------------------
A view [tiger] from the UK

Hi,
I'd like to add a few cents.

Just as the definition of Super Computer has changed over the years so have the definitions of different trade titles.

Years ago, a Super Computer cost $7,000,000.00 (Cray XMP) and was capable of a whopping, at that time, 800,000,000 instructions per second. I read recently that Super's are in the Teraflop range now.

Years ago, when getting a CS Degree, the amount of TOTAL course work (late 60's early 70's) was but a fraction of what is considered "just the basics" today.

The text for the main CS class was about 130 pages covering history and technique. And structured elements of Systems Design

Languages covered were Assembler, COBOL, FORTEAN, RPG

The role of the Systems Analyst was at that time similar to a non programming Software Engineer today. Systems analysis cosisted of feasibility studies, going to a specific site and meeting with the prospective client. Identifying the clients needs. Studying the current system (automated or not) in place. Scoping the system requirements for the new system, identifying Data Elements, Identifying Process Flow, Identifying storage elements, Implementatation Strategies (Phased, or Cut over, etc.) Creating Flow Charts for Programmers. etc. In essence everything needed to create a new data model and processing model for the entire system

In addition to this:
The SA was responsible for establishing Physical Requirements (DASDI, Processing Architecture, Physical Placement, Cooling systems, Raised Floor requirements and installation, Cabling, Power Requirements, Maintenance, Library and Backup Procedures, Fault tolerance (to what exetent that existed), Fail Safe, Remote site storage, Computer room staffing requirements and on and on and on. I left out a lot.

They would oversee many other individuals because at that time the Systems Analysists were in essence the Systems Designers.

For programmers, coding at that time was also horrendous. Mostly, batch processing and often you had to wait 24 hrs. before you could even run your program.. or find that you had a syntax error. Program length at that time was also small. You also had so much overhead in programming to think about. In those days memory was at a premium 10K was considered Large. You could get more, but it cost lots of $$$! Plus not everyone had Random Access DASDI. You might have had 100,000 records to sort using a string sort and about 3 to 5 different reel to reel tape machines.

Today, large projects have the benefit of many new technologies that can be used. Projects can be Platform dependent or not, there is OOP, RAD, and with the language selection today, anywhere from 1 to 20 languages, many different databases etc. But when you add all of the complexity of systems today , with online applications, multi-media, and all of the other networking facets combined, the average system is MUCH more complicated than even 10 years ago.

And finally, I had fun writing this, but, considering the question, I'll bet, it didn't answer or help at all.

Titles are just that. Titles! I you are going a and talking to clients, discovering their needs, designing the database architecture, the input forms, the processing, the auditing, reporting, physical requirements, etc. then you are in essence a Systems Engineer or Systems Architect. A new buzz word is Solutions Architect.

And lastly , if you are moderately successful, and busy then the big title would be BLESSED!

lol
wizie

Thanks for the thoughts, wizie.

One problem is that I am starting to get burned out. I don't know how much longer I can do what I've been doing for the last 12 years.

That sounds very strange to me because my skills are in computers, but... this ADD person just can't make himself focus any more. I need more stimulation and variety than I can get in my current career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back