Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is more reliable - pci wireless adaptor or USB ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zobbo

Technical User
Dec 21, 2004
IE
For XP, what is more reliable connection for a wireless router...a pci adaptor card or a usb one?

Both will work. It depends on what you can get and if you want to take the computer apart to install the card.

If you have USB 1.1 ports, my advice is to get a pci one. Reason being that USB 1.1 has a transfer speed of 11 Mbps and USB 2.0 has transfer speed of 480 Mbps. It would a waste if you have a G standard wireless router and a G wireless USB adapter but with the speed is limited by your USB 1.1 ports.

802.11b - transfer speed is 11Mbps
802.11g - transfer speed is 54Mbps

Internal PCI bus possibly but then both are pretty mature now.
USB wireless dongles are very convenient but cost a little more, I guess if this is going to be a permanent fixture I would go for a fixed PCI card otherwise the dongle is good if you swap and change more.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

If you have a fairly recent system with USB 2.0 then I say go for that. It's a lot simpler and can be easily moved if you go somewhere or upgrade your system. And the newer USB is very stable....

-=<>=-

ok its USB early version i have - so I might have upgrade to a PCI usb card or just install the PCI networking adaptor.

LSTAN, I never knew there was such a difference between old USB and USB 2.0 in terms of data transfer.

Thank you for all the advice everyone.

Oh yeah 40X but that wouldn't necessarily be applicable to the device used.

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

LSTAN, thank you for that great article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back