Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is DarkBASIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qbasicking

Programmer
Aug 19, 2001
US
What is it, is it a form of BASIC, if so is there any advantages to Qbasic and is it easy to learn?

Yes, it is a form of BASIC but with lots of amazing, easy-to-implement goodies such as playing sound files, displaying graphic files (images on disk) and ability to generate 3D scenes and objects without having to know too much about 3D math (tho' some is needed).

If you are writing programs for your own amusement and don't want to tackle heavy duty languages such as C, or you just want to write smallish programs quickly, then it great, absolutely great and highly recommended.

Sounds like a good language. I am trying to write a GUI, one that multi-tasks, can this b done in DarkBASIC. Where can I get a copy?

Try for more info.

I bought my copy from Amazon, on-line. They were doing a half-price deal a little while ago so it cost much less than a game. I believe that the people who produce DarkBasic will shortly be releasing a new, improved and faster version.

I am not sure that writing a generalized GUI would be feasible with DarkBasic. It is probably too slow and doesn't have enough operating system calls to do it really effectively. Using C for that would be a better bet. However, if you were thinking of adding a GUI-like interface to a particular program, so that you had windows, buttons, radio-boxes, etc. then yes, it would be easily possible.

There are lots of DarkBasic sites on the 'net. A search will quickly show you many forums and so on. Most people seem to like it, but there are some detractors. You can even write DOOM-like games with it, though they would relatively simple. I use it often for those small jobs and one-offs, especially stuff involving images. For any programmer, BASIC or otherwise, it is a must-have !

huh - it doesn't lool like DarkBASIC has waht I'm looking for - it seems to be mostly for creating games. I probably try it, but most likely i'll stick with Qbasic. I will learn C and C++, but right now I am illiterate

Hi guys

I will after this post do some research on "DarkBasic". But for you others I ran into a FREE basic called "Rapid-Q". It is a good Windows developers basic, do your research on it and Liberty Basic also, just came out with its 32bit version, not very expensive and lots good things being said about it.

Thanks

My2Cents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back