Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is clnrecov.exe for

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe935

Technical User
Apr 3, 2001
US
I have this DOS program "clnrecov.exe" in my root folder. I can't find any reference to this file in MSKB. or on the net.
Does anyone know what this program is used for?

Can you right click on the file and look at the properties? It should show the version - date - and the manufacturer. You might be able to trace it to the program it belongs to.

Micker377, All a right click>properties does is bring up a DOS properties window with no version tab. It's the same type window you get when you click on a Bat or shortcut file. That's how I know its a DOS program. It's also 8kb in size.

Grenage, No, I dont use AOL, But I have used the standalone AIM AOL instant messenger. AIM is not installed at present time.

Well I had a search but unfortunately did not come up with much. Clnrecov.exe is referenced in several IBM Aptiva recovery pages so if you have an IBM machine this is most likely its purpose.

If you don't then I have no idea what it is doing there really.

I do have an IBM Aptiva model 2164-631. Looks like IBM has dropped all information on this model from their site.

Excellent, there is your answer then. I imagine that particular file is used in conjunction with a recovery CD or program.

Russell.

Thats most likely the case. But would be nice to know exactly what, when,& where the program is used. I dont like mysteries.

Then you'll be wanting to find the recovery CD's that came with the machine itself.

Change the extension from .exe, to .ex_, you can restore it in safe mode if it causes any problems.

I had already renamed the file. Thanks Micker377.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back