Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is bootstrap in Legato? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doubts

Programmer
Feb 27, 2001
US
Hello.

What is bootstrap and what is the exact use of it ? All I know about it is bootstrap has to be saved for upgrading to a later version of Legato. We can do so by using mminfo command.

But what exactly is bootstrap? What does it do?

Thanks in advance,

Doubtfull

The bootstrap is simply a report that allows you to restore the media index files for the Legato server. It has nothing to do with your Legato clients. In the event of a disaster at the backup server itself, it will identify the saveset ID, file and record for the media index. Once that is restored you can further restore the server data.

I have my servers write the bootstrap to a file (using nsrlog), and then the command scheduler emails the log to an Exchange folder. This way I don't have to deal with all that paper...

:)

Is it possible to view the contents of a particular bootstrap, saved into, say a file?

HI Anu,
only servers which r client for themselves hav the bootstrap . actually its a vet of info backed up at the end of backup by leagato servers which contains info bout client file indexes, media devices etc.

if u want to know what ur server generates as bootstrap go to nwadmin - notification - bootstrap - and give the option mail ...so that it will mail u that fileset after complition of backup.

thanks
nandkumar aix sys admin
nandkumarg@visto.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back