Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is Banyan Vines???

Status
Not open for further replies.

neno71

Technical User
Mar 26, 2003
BA
Can you tell me about Banyan Vines???

Banyan Vines is a network client and server system. It consists of it's own unix based servers, it's own network protocol and client, enebling internal and external email, file- and printservices, etc. Banyan Corp does not exist anymore though. I believe it has been bought by MS. There is a beta-version of the client until win2k, but there was no official development anymore at that time. Hope that answers your question?
Dolf.

Banyan was not bought by Micro$oft. They now exist as EPresence, still located in Westborough Ma. They stopped developing VINES several years ago and are now a services company. StreetTalk was a fantastic directory.USER@GROUP@ORG

EPresence now belongs to Unisys, having been sold last year. The ePresence website no longer exists, and Banyan.com now belongs to an entirely different company.

Microsoft invested in Banyan, turning them into consulting company ePresence. Part of the Microsoft deal was that Banyan discontinued VINES and not pass the source code onto another party.

Actually Many places are still running it for one reason or another. Another thing to note is some ideas from banyan Vines were carried over to active directory

One of the architects of StreetTalk, Bill something, left Banyan to go to Micro$oft. Funny how M$ didn't want VINES to be further developed. I though competition was a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back