Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is a vbs file and way it works on some computers 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

carfj1

Technical User
Jan 19, 2003
MX
I have 111 users for a split database (BE + 31Fe * Ac00 + 80Fe * Ac97)

Updating them to the latest version had become a night mare.

Now using FAQ705-2010: HOW DO I MAKE SURE ALL USERS ARE USING THE MOST UPDATED VERION OF THE FRONT END?

My dreams are more pleasant because it explains how to automate the updating proceess.

Still some machines cannot run a vbs script file described on the faq. The fHandleFile function asks for a program to run this file with.

Which is the program to go with?

Thanks,

Carlos

Where do I begin. I have developed a process to maintain and keep the front-ends current. All you have to do is load the new version of the front-end db into a specified folder in the back-end db's folder. Let me explain the process.

You short-cut to open the front-end(FE) db gets changed to opening a new small db called CheckVersion.mdb. This application opens invisibly and reads the version# fron the FE db and the server stored FE db(Latest version copy) and compares the numbers. If the server stored FE has a higher version# than the PC FE then a .bat file copies the database from the server to the PC and overwrites the old version. It then continues by opening the PC FE application with VBA code and then closes.

All you have to do to distribute a new version is copy it to a preset folder on the server and in most cases it is in the folder with the BE db. The paths, version#'s are kept in a single-record table in the CheckVersion.mdb and the FE application.

If this sounds like what you are interested in I can post the code and also send you a copy of the CheckVersion.mdb. Just let me know.

Bob Scriver

Nobody believes the official spokesman... but everybody trusts an unidentified source.
Author, Bagdad Bob???

Bob,

I would be interested in the code and the db.

my email is falkc@yahoo.com

Thanx for all the wonderful work you do on this forum.

Bob,

I would also be interested on your code and Database.

My mail is carfj@mail.com

Thanks

Bob,

I would also be interested on your code and Database.

My mail is elisefreedman57@aol.com

Thanks

Bob,

Thanks for the CheckVersion Database it works wonderful.
A star is for you,

Just a question:

When having security installed it is possible that the CheckVersion Database code has a way to open the Master and PC copy with kind of Administrator permissions while checking for the Version#.

Thanks a lot,
Carlos

For those who want to know the end of this story I will post how it went:

Problem 1: What is a vbs file and way it works on some computers?

A vbs file is a kind of Visual Basic programming intended for MS EXPLORER. The reason that makes it inoperative on some computers was that they had an OLD version of IE. Updating to IE5.0 fixed the problem.

Since I didn’t want to install IE 5.0 on more than 40 computers I decided to go with the splendid CHECKVERSION database provided by Bob Scriver.

Problem 2: When having security installed it is possible that the CheckVersion Database code has a way to open the Master and PC copy with kind of Administrator permissions while checking for the Version#.

To do this I had to give the users account, permission to open the FE.mdb and read the table with the version number.

Simple fix for a very helpful way of updating all of my users.

Special Thanks to BOB SCRIVER for helping me.

I am glad that everything worked out for you with the DB that I sent you. Thanks for the Star. It is appreciated.

Bob Scriver
Want the best answers? See FAQ181-2886
Nobody believes the official spokesman... but everybody trusts an unidentified source.
Author, Bagdad Bob???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back