Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is a "Range Protocol Header"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFI

Programmer
Jun 7, 2000
GB

Hiya,

I'm trying to get WSUS working on a Server 2003 Domain Controller, but it seems to stall when downloading updates from Microsoft.

The %system root%\Update Services\LogFiles\SoftwareDistribution.log Log has multiple errors saying:

Download Error <file.exe> failed in download: (-2145386477) The server does not support the necessary HTTP Protocol. Background Intelligent Transfer Services (BITS) requires that the server support the Range protocol header.

For such a long error message, it gives me very little clue as to how to actually resolve this problem :(

Has anybody got any ideas?

Any help will be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Paul

I'm not sure what this is but we're having the same issue when attmepting updates through our websweeper.

I have a feeling if the connection isn't a direct connection, i.e. a proxied connection, the server has 'issues'. We've got another WSUS server out in Hong Kong configured exactly as this one in the Uk. Not only does that one work, it goes straight out to the internet.

I'm going to change the update topology of this machine to go straight out which'll hopefully negate this issuse.

Did you manage to fix this problem?

What goes up, MUST come down [PIPE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back