Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is a "+" in the my file permissions ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

itr0754

Technical User
Dec 17, 2002
PR
I just came across some files and directories in mu HP/UX 10.20 server with the following file permissions ..

drwx------+ 6 A100 asegura 1024 Feb 28 2004 T100

I don't recall ever seeing the "+" at the end of the permissions and if I try to access these files and directories I get an error message saying:

Cannot Open

Does anyone know what this is ??

From man ls ...
Access Control Lists (ACLs)

If a file has optional ACL entries, the -l (ell) option displays a plus sign (+) after the file's permissions. The permissions shown are a summary representation of the file's access control list, as returned by stat() in the st_mode field (see stat(2)). To list the contents of an access control list, use the lsacl command (see lsacl(1) and acl(5)) for HFS file systems, or the getacl command (see getacl(1) and aclv(5)) for JFS file systems.

As far as i'm concern i heard about the follwoing permissions in unix

- in any position means that flag is not set
r file is readable by owner, group or other
w file is writeable. On a directory, write access means you can add or delete files
x file is executable (only for programs and shell scripts - not useful for data files). Execute permission on a directory means you can list the files in that directory
s in the place where 'x' would normally go is called the set-UID or set-groupID flag

Trying to find an answer for you.

Hanwant Verma
Software Developer/Analyst
London (UK)

There was a known bug on the itrc website regarding "+" appearing against files and dirs when using 'ls' or 'll' on non-acl filesystems. This has since been fixed.

--
Jack

This is known as the sticky bit. Do a man page on chmod.
The numeric number after chmod can be a 4 digit #.
chmod 1000 file-name will set the sticky bit on....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back