Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is a printer acccess list? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabomb

Technical User
Jul 5, 2001
US
I am attempting to install a remote HPlaser printer.
I used the utility found in the lib
/usr/lib/hpnp/hpnpcfg.

The printer seems configured properly however when I attempt to verify operation it fails. I get a message
saying I have to add a path to the printers access list.
I looked at /etc/printcap and I cannot figure out what
the message is trying to tell me. There is a refernce to
the IP address is in /etc/hosts but other than that and
printcap I never heard of an access list.

Can anyone point me in a direction????

You didn´t find or do anything in the printcap file did you?

Did you add the ip of the printer in /etc/hosts before or after installation? make sure it´s there before you do anything else. Make sure you can ping the printer by name and ip.

Did you do the following when using hpnpcfg...
6. add printer to spooler

destination name = printer-que (whatever you want)

printer network name = what you entered in /etc/hosts

model script name = HPLaserJet

hit enter on the following two questions.

hit enter a third time to restart and install the printer.
Make sure that the printer-que gets enabled and accepting requests.
Is this where you get your error-message?
don´t bother to verify this or that. hit q to exit the program.

run lpstat printer-que to see if it´s up and running all right.

try printing to it using lp -d printer-que file

btw. I don´t know what a printer access list is. /Sören

You called it a remote hp laser... what does that mean? Is the laser on a diff subnet than the rest of the network? Assuming that it is not, the process of setting up an hp printer through scoadmin->Printers->HP Network Printer Manager is fairly straightforward, running the steps in order 1-6. The important things to watch for, is if you have the correct address assigned, you should be able to "Verify network printer connection" and "Verify network printer operation" and to print the test page (not a bad pic to give to the kids to color). After you add the printer to the spooler as Nostradamus indicated, you should be good-to-go.

If you are printing to a truly remote printer, then you need to make sure the routes and addresses are correct. The only time you need to be concerned about printer access (that I am aware of) is if you are printing to a remote SCO box. Then you need to include the name of the box that is allowed to send print jobs in /etc/hosts.lpd and make sure the remote printing is turned on and accepting remote jobs.

Guys,

I'm having the exact same problem. SCO 5.0.5 Server. Someone has previously setup several Internet printers (different subnets) that work fine and verify fine through /usr/lib/hpnp/hpnpcfg.

I am trying to add a new printer. Added into /etc/hosts and can ping/telnet to the printer. I can also print to it from a Windoze box on a different subnet.

These is not a bootp printer.

I add the printer by making a duplicate of a working printer under scoadmin -> printer. I add the queue in hpnpcfg and it now accepts print jobs. But they just sit there. When I try to "5) Verify network printer operation" I get the following:===============================================================
Checking that scosysv is on the printer's access list ...
/usr/lib/hpnp/cfg/canaccess eastside

Printer access test failed. Add scosysv to the
printer's access list before continuing.
===============================================================

Help!

Thanks,
Matt M. Morris
mattm@mattm.net

Have you tried printing to it anyway?
Is that what you mean with "they just sit there"?
Try lp -d [que] file

You said that the print-que was accepting jobs. Is it enabled as well?
lpstat will show you if it is.
run enable [que] otherwise.

Why do you duplicate the printer in scoadmin before installing? I never do.

What kind of Hp printer is this? /Sören

-printer is enabled and accepting requests.

-have tried duplicating & creating a new printer with same results.

-try to print, and is just sits in the queue. at one point, it would leave the queue but never print.

-lpstat shows everything OK. This is an HPLaserJet5. Model is set correctly.

-Telnet into both printers (one working, one not) and both are setup the same.

Thanks,
Matt M. Morris
mattm@mattm.net

$ date;lpstat -t|grep eastside
Wed Jun 19 10:05:41 CDT 2002
device for eastside: /dev/null
eastside accepting requests since Tue Jun 18 14:37:57 2002
printer eastside now printing eastside-70643. enabled since Tue Jun 18 14:37:57 2002. available.
eastside-70643 jerry 131 Jun 18 15:09 on eastside
$ Thanks,
Matt M. Morris
mattm@mattm.net

When I cancel the job in queue, I get a corefile. Here is an interesting snip:

-----------------------------
ðñòóôõö÷øùúûüýþÿ2Gc:l:nNPp:rRs:Svx:c:l:nNPp:rRs:Svx:-%s: cannot access file %s
%s: only %d files allowed
-usage: %s -x periph [-c port] [-nNrv] [-p port] [-l logfile]
Process: enteredConnecting to control port on %s ... failed
Process: failed to connect to relay processconnected
Connecting to %s ... Connecting to data port on %s ... failed
failed
Process: failed to connect to relay processconnected
-%s: %s - %s
Process: sending file %s-Sending file (stdin)
Sending file %s
------------------------------------

Thanks,
Matt M. Morris
mattm@mattm.net

Look at this.
scoadmin - printer - printer manager - select the newly added que - go to settings - advanced - users
are there any users or such in the deny column?

what model did you choose?
I always use HPLaserJet since nearly every printer in the world can emulate a HPLaserJet, and I've never had any problems with HP printers using that driver/model.

Have you tried printing both Postscript and simple text-file? Any difference?

I noticed a $ when you ran lpstat.
Where you never root when you installed the que?

Perhaps you need to do what I once did with a networked Hp printer. Remove the external (cause Laserjet5 don't have internal jetdirect, right?) Jetdirect box and replace it with a axis printserver instead. I simply couldn't add a HP 4000 with internal jetdirect-card, but replacing it with an axis-box solved the problem.
I don't know why it didn't work.
When you network the axis printserver, make sure you ftp to it and 'get' the axinstall script. This is what you use to install the axis-box on your unix-machine. /Sören

Thanks for the reply!

1) No -users- in the deny field. However, I did find some documentation for SCOAdmin that points to a hosts field of this sort. My version does not have this though.

2) Model= HPLaserJet, standard, hplaserjethpnp, and a few others tried with the same results

3) text/PS tests (in hpnpcfg) fail with the same response from /usr/lib/hpnp/cfg/canaccess.

4) printer is always added as root & tested as root & as a user.

5) This is an HPLJ 5 with an internal card. Our Time Warner Cable Service comes in on a Cisco router and we have a NetOpia behind it doing NAT. This morning I removed the printer from the NetOpia and placed directly on the Cisco. However, I don't have access to the Cisco's config. They are telling me now that they only pass TCP and UDP, although they are passing all ports of these. This afternoon we are taking the printer to the same subnet as the SCO Server to see if perhaps a) the Cisco is configured wrong or b) there's a quirky subnet issue with lpd.

Thoughts? Thanks,
Matt M. Morris
mattm@mattm.net

Things that make you go hmmm... Perhaps what you need to do is set up a static address in the Netopia router (btw, I use Netopias all over the place and I find them to be excellent routers)so it ensures that all tcp traffic bound to the external address goes to that specific device i.e. go into Network Address Translation, drop into the Add Map option and setup a static address that maps to the internal address of the LJ5. Make sure you have a password on the JetDirect so you don't have any unwanted visitors. My bet is on the subnet issue particularly since you have NAT running on the Netopia. Let me know if there is more going on than what you've described.

Removed the NAT issue and the NetOpia completely from the issue. Plugged the LJ5 into the Cisco & assigned the external IP directly to the LJ5. Still the same issue.

Hauled the LJ5 over to the office with the SCO printer; off the Cisco. Changed it's IP and the IP of the printer in /etc/hosts. Works like a champ.

Must be a config issue in the Cisco. We don't have access and Time Warner Road Runner is refusing to admit that it could be the Cisco, as they allow all ports TCP and UDP.

Could the printer be trying to negotiate on a different protocol?

Thanks,
Matt M. Morris
mattm@mattm.net

Sorry for the delay (busy week last week). I probably need a few specifics such as addresses and such to really be a help.

Ken

We've found that the printer works perfectly either on the local SCO network or on a Bell DSL line. However, it's not working behind the Time Warner Road Runner service.

Have had 2 others verify and confirm the setups of the NetOpia and of the SCO.

It has to be a Road Runner issue. Will post a follow-up when it's all resolved.

Thanks,
Matt M. Morris
mattm@mattm.net

Matinau,

I have seen similiar problems (access list error)when the HP Printer Manager is not used to setup HP printers with JetDirect cards. You say it is not a bootp printer, but really, if it has a jetdirect card and is on the network, it should be setup using the HP Manager. The instructions for doing this in the SCO System Administration guide work fine.

Of course I may be way out on this, but I just resolved a similiar problem this morning. I have no idea what Road runner is, so can't help there, but I noticed your first couple of posts.

SOLUTION:

Everything on the SCO server and the HP Printer were setup correctly.

This setup ran over a TimeWarner RoadRunner Cable Modem Service in San Antonio, TX. After a lot of probing and packet sniffing, we found that the ISP is filtering out the 515 port, needed for printing.

SouthwesternBell happily installed a DSL line and we were printing within 5 min.

Thanks to all who helped. Especially the idiots at Time Warner who couldn't find the whole in their backside, and who can't fix anything.

Cheers,
Matt Thanks,
Matt M. Morris
mattm@mattm.net

Hello!

Can anyone offer an alternative solution to that of port 515? I am having the exact same problem on a box running 5.0.6a ...

Thank you all in advance!

Jose Lerebours

KNOWLEDGE: Something you can give away endlessly and gain more of it in the process! - Jose Lerebours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back