Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What importance is edb.log and tmp.edb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ariddick

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2002
US
My backup is missing these files:
c:\winnt\security\edb.log and c:\winnt\security\tmp.edb.
I was searching for what these files are used for but have not found anything yet. Thanks in advance for anyone who can tell me.

Just a tip that you may find usefull (or you may already be doing it). Split your backup jobs into multiple jobs. Do the data first in one job, and the os in a second job after. This way, if the os backup fails (which occurs alot with nt/2000), at least you'll have the data.

Matt

Thanks for the fast reply. I wonder how important these files are? Can Active Directory be restored without them?

Thanks

the EDB.LOG file that you are seeing in the %systemroot%\security directory (along with the tmp.edb) are not the important files for maintaining or restoring AD. These files are kept in %systemroot%\NTDS.

You should have no problem recovering AD if the files in the \security subdirectory are missing. However, not the same outcome if the files in NTDS are missing... ;-)

Rick Kingslan MCSE, MCSA, MCT
Microsoft MVP - Active Directory
Associate Expert
Expert Zone -

I suspect edb.log is a log of things written to the edb database (whatever it is, according to hewissa, its a part of active directory). Temp.edb is probably just that, a temporary copy of the actual edb database that is written to when changes occur. I seem to remember these files in conjunction with Exchange, maybe they use the same name for active directory. I wouldn't worry about them. Make sure you have an updated professional software package, like Backup Exec or Brightstor.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back