Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What has happened here to Tek-Tips?? 17

ladyck3

Technical User
Jan 3, 2003
US
I'm just sending this as a test. I can't find out where my group is and I'm hoping this is the location for Excel questions.
If so, I'll bookmark it specifically.
I'm lost with this new format... AI has infiltrated? GRRRRRRRRRR Change is a 4-letter "C" word. I mean really, I've been using Tek-tips for at the very least --15+ years-- More like closer to 20... and its always been easy to get around and see just what I want.

All of a sudden I'm getting notifications on things that are of no concern whatsoever to me, like its greek as far as I know... so I thought I'd jump in to see what happened to my preferences regarding email... it was all messed up.

I'm old school... just because you CAN change something doesn't always mean you SHOULD! sigh...

Is this the Excel portion of Tek-Tips? Thank you in advance and where is the left panel... tabs... geeesh... I'm lost in Tek-Tip-land...

Laurie

I had to send a support request to get my bookmarks back.
I don't remember getting any email warning me about this change, but boy am I getting emails now (that I'm absolutely not interested in).
What you need to do is go to your usual forums (good luck finding them back) and mark them as Read.
Then you can go to the Watched tab and you're basically set as before.
Too bad they couldn't have explained that first . . .

Totally agree. Forums / Watched Forums seems to make things easier (mine look OK) and I need to cull some of those. Email settings are in Your Account/Preferences, and I need to check them too.

Thanks to all. My preferences was the first thing I did... hahaha. Cuz it was all I could find. Question is: IS THIS the proper place for Excel questions? That is the ONE reason I come here. Thanks!

Yes I think that Microsoft: Office is the right forum for Excel queries unless you are doing something fancy with VBA.

I share your pain: new and (not necessarily) improved TT site.
And what happened to testing before deploying? Was is done at all?
[banghead]

Laurie, we are all getting accustomed to this new format. Welcome to the blind leading the blind.

Ya, not impressed with this new format. I can't locate the MS Access forum!! Arrrrgh.

Last edited:
I'm just sending this as a test. I can't find out where my group is and I'm hoping this is the location for Excel questions.

I haven't used Tek-Tips in over a decade but have also recently started getting messages out of the blue, some of which seem like junk or are on topics to which I've never subscribed for programming languages that I do not recognize. In any event, this appears to be a Microsoft Office group of some sort but, as you mentioned, the site's new design which is totally unlike it was when I was last here makes it a bit difficult to find things.

Well, how's that...Skip...blind leading the blind...love it...

This is just completely NUTZ! How does one just take on changing something so wonderful and accessible and easy to you and perfect as it *WAS* and arbitrarily change it to look like a PlaySchool site with fancy bubble tans and black bla black...and us longtime users get no notification...other than OH LOOK THAT'S SKIP...he has an image but I'm getting email on things I have no clue what they are talking about besides Skip looking good. LOL

ONCE AGAIN. **WHOEVER YOU ARE** JUST BECAUSE YA CAN, DOESN'T MEAN YA SHOULD! <stomping my dainty lil foot>

Just to "miff" me off? Well done, consider me miffed...you rate at the top with cancer treatments, supplemental insurance which is paying ZERO with a response...cuz..that's why....LIST! Yup, right at the very tippy top.

Put it back! Ya broke it, now fix it!
...the End.

Thanks all, however, for making me feel a part of "the gang" lol

I am in total agreement with all the above. Why was this done without any warning, and without providing registered users (ie contributors) with some sort of description of how to replicate the behaviours and nomenclature we were taking advantage of on the old site? I have wasted several hours trying to achieve this, with about a 49% success rate.

An additional gripe is that the new formatting and layout is so profligate with white space. My scrolling finger rapidly becomes exhausted. Also the colours are washed out, making everything harder to read. (Try typing a bit of a reply, then highlight a small part of what you have just typed. Can you differentiate between the highlighted and the non-highlighted text? I certainly struggle.)

I like the new format and getting notified regarding new posts in forums I’m interested in. Almost everything can be changed in your preferences.

One great new feature is the email notifications provide the text of the reply so I don’t have to open the thread to read the post. This is a big time saver. I watch about a dozen forums and don’t get lots of emails. Most email programs allow you to create rules if you can’t set your appropriate preferences.

Yes, it is easy to get lost after this big change and there is a lot to learn. My first impressions after a couple of days of browsing the site:
  • there is a lot to customize. I changed style to NOVA, for me it is better than the classic one. I reviewed and adjusted all profile settings, esp. it is worth to look at mailing options and privacy settings,
  • most of past TGML tags are obsolete, now text can be formatted directly,
  • it is easier to quote (full or part of post), paste image, ...,
  • new site exposes more information, as posts you replied in the threads list, members online, new posts,
  • new features, as 'likes' with a set of emoticons, conversations,
  • the site seems to still introduce small changes,
  • what I miss the most: 'my forums' panel, now available in two clicks: forums/watched > watched forums.

Thanks, Combo, for the suggestion about using the NOVA style. It removes the problem I had with invisible highlighting when I am composing a reply.

Back in the good old days I used to make a lot of use of non-breaking spaces, generated with the code string [&nbsp;], mainly (but not only) as an aide to clearer readability. Is there an equivalent alternative here in the "bad new days"? «« I intentionally inserted a pair of spaces to the left of the pair of left-facing chevrons.

Back in the good old days I used to make a lot of use of non-breaking spaces, generated with the code string [&nbsp;], mainly (but not only) as an aide to clearer readability. Is there an equivalent alternative here in the "bad new days"?
It seems that this feature gone. At the very bottom-right of each page you can find small 'Help' with available BB-codes and emoticons (seem to be the same as in 'good old days'):
1724941674732.png

The new site sure is a heap of dross.

My list of watched forums (which I eventually found with a bit of help) has some marked permanently with "NEW".

What we need is forum for Tek-Tips problems.

There is an advisory forum of long-time Tek-Tips users who are expressing concerns and suggestions to those who administer the site. Several of the members in the advisory forum are in this thread. You can probably figure out who these members are by hovering over their login/image to see the number of messages and votes. I can assure you that every issue in this thread has been brought to the attention of the site administrators. There seems to be decent follow-up.

You can easily set a bookmark in your browser for "watched forums" https://www.tek-tips.com/watched/forums. There are buttons to mark a forum as Read or Unwatch. The ability to easily paste a screenshot is very handy like below showing how to find the Code tag.

1724960786912.png

Last edited:

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back