Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What happens if 1st Domain Controller in forest goes down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Mar 19, 2003
GB
Hi, what happens if 1st Domain Controller in forest goes down?

We have 2 DC's running Windows 2003.

Andy

If temporary shutdown, second server accepts client connections (login and such) using synched info from first server.

If first server is never coming back, you must use sieze FSMO roles to make second server into primary (to stop it trying to synch and make it always accept client connections.)

Alex

If you are referencing a FMSO which is destroyed, I had a FMSO's raid array destroyed by a firmware update. The roles were not transferred over gracefully before hand. Basically it is a Nightmare on Elm Street. I was very lucky, after an authoritive restore I ended up with no errors

Check this thread out, my posts are about 4 down

Paul Meiners

Thanks, what's the best way to back up then?

Make sure that both your Servers are GC servers. Siezing roles is made easier that way.

Fully backup including the "System State" often (nightly if you have hardware that can do it.

Alex

Hi how can I make both DC's GC's?

I just had an issue where the first DC in the test forest went down and no one could log on, I though the 2nd DC would take over?

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back