Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What happens during a catalog?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rols

Vendor
Sep 16, 2002
AU
Hey Guys,

Does anyone know what exactly happens during a catalog operation?? Does Backup Exec read a catalog that is written to the tape or does Backup Exec read every file on the tape to create the new catalog on disk??

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

When you catalog a tape, BE reads the header information from the tape and stores in a file on the hard drive.

The information is basically:

-Tape number/label/name (something to identify that tape from all others).
-Date of the backup
-Type of backup
-What directories/files were backed up.

Want to see what the catalog does? Go to the restore tab. Expand the information there. First you'll see the server name - expand that - you should see the drive letters - expand that - you should see lists of dates that backups were done, including the tape number and type of backup - expand that and you should have a list of the actual files that were backed up.

-SQLBill

But does the header information contain a list of all the files on the tape?? I didnt think it did. If it does then should the catalog only take a couple of minutes at the most??

Im just really wondering if the catalog operation has to READ EVERY file on the tape to create the catalog.

There are 2 ways backup exec runs reads a tape for a catalog.
This is 9.x speak as well, very similar for 8.6
1. In Tools, Options, Catalogs - Use On media catalog checked - when you run a catalog, BE will search for the catalog file on the tape - read it and write it to the CATALOGS directory on the server.
2. In Use on Media catalog is unchecked - it will read through the whole tape, scanning all dirs and files, creating a new catalog in the CATALOGS directory on the server.

Thanks Justin,

Just the answer I was looking for.

Cheers

..and just the question I was about to ask.

Still, I have Tools/Options/Catalog/use Storage Media-Based Catalog checked and this goes for all my BE8.6 installs.

yet the other day I did a restore from an old tape and it took *ages* and seems to be reading every file.

I'm going to rebuild a server next weekend, and will be moving from BE8.6 to BE9, hope fully I will not have to be there all night because of the catalogs.

is it possible to export a catalog and import it manually ?

Thanks

You can just copy the catalog folder to the new server (or copy the catalog files from inside the folder to the appropriate folder on the new server).

It will save you a decade.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back