Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What happened to.. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tejanorey

Technical User
Mar 23, 2002
US
What happened to the compressor option on WinXp. I have WinXP and Office 2002 and don't have this option. I have to compress my files through other programs such as "Winzip". I use Windows 2000 Pro built on NT technology along with Office 2000 at work and have this option to work with. Is it not that good or what happened? Can somebody please tell me? Thank you in advance for your help... Tejanorey

"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
- Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War; shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered to not wear their khaki leggings to keep the enemy from immediately fleeing

Howdy:

A simple check on the XP help files would have given you the answer...

To compress an NTFS drive
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
Open My Computer.
Right-click the drive you want to compress.
Click Properties.
On the General tab, select the Compress drive to save disk space check box, and then click OK.
In Confirm Attribute Changes, select the option you want.
Note

To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.

Murray

SESaskDFC and linney,
Thanks to both of you for your replies. I am the administrator on this computer and the defualt user. When I go to properties on my (for example "C") drive I only get the option that "Disk Cleanup". Could it be that my option is somehow turned off? Can someone help me? Tejanorey

"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
- Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War; shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered to not wear their khaki leggings to keep the enemy from immediately fleeing

Right click on the Folder or File you want to compress and look for the Advanced option.

Tejanorey,
Look for a check box at the bottom left of properties for the drive.

linney and bullhlms,
I see what you are saying. And I don't get these options. Could it be that I have somehow turned off these options. Does anybody happen to know how to turn it back on? Tejanorey

I can't tell you how to turn it off and on, or even if you can do that.

The only way I know to enable it is via the property page.

Here are some alternate ways of using compression which may work for you.

If your into DOS you can have a look at Compact /? from a command prompt.

Otherwise if no one else can help you, you might have to look at Sfc /Scannow from the run box, or repairing windows if you are missing this option (no pun intended).

I am sure your hard drive is formatted as FAT or FAT32 and not NTFS.

Compression is only available on an NTFS drive.

To convert a drive from FAT to NTFS:

Start>run>cmd

"convert c: /fs:ntfs"

bossbambos, which one is better...you said

"To convert a drive from FAT to NTFS:

Start>run>cmd

"convert c: /fs:ntfs"

Is there something better than the other or am I misunderstanding something...I'm not much of a computer guy..i just manage.. Tejanorey

I have just figured out that NTFS is the one for me..but have yet another question..when i input the information i get this message:
"The type of the file system is FAT32.
Convert cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Convert may run if this volume is dismounted first.
ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)"

...What do I do? I have never done this before and don't know "exaclty" what the message means..can anybody help me?? I will be always greatfull.. Tejanorey

linney, thanks for the links they were extremely easy to understand even for a "rock" as myself..I gave you a star. Tejanorey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back