Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What happened to safe mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

notadba

MIS
May 28, 2003
AU
Hi,

Tried to reboot in safe mode due to crapped out video card drivers, and only get three options. After hitting f8 on reboot only option available is to select the device to boot with - floppy, HDD or CD.

How can I get to the real options? I used to have them once upon a time.

I have fixed the video drivers and other problems, but would be nice to know where my safe mode options went...

Perplexed!

Hi, sounds like your BIOS is getting in the way of your F8 key. If you are Win2k or XP wait till the DOS style start bar comes up then press F8. This should take you to the options menu you are after. If youre on W9X wait for the logo screen and press F5.

Hope this helps.

Thanks JeffJS,

Tried it out at various stages of booting, but have still not gotten a safe mode start.

F8 at the initial screen gives me the HDD, Floppy, CD options. If I manage to time it right at the screen flicking over to the win2k logo, will get a flash (about 1/4 second) of a screen showing some stats and options, however it goes past this screen without letting me make a choice. F8 after this point has no effect.

Any way of slowing down or pausing on this screen?

Use recovery console to edit the boot.ini file to include a Safe Mode option:

Then use the batch file "trick" in Recovery Console to edit the boot.ini file and include the Safe Mode switches:
Or you may be able to use Recovery Console to disable the driver or service that is causing problems:

Thanks to bcastner for the info. thats the next logical step in getting your safe mode back. However to get to the recovery console if you havent installed it yop need your original Win2k CD or boot disk to get to it. Win2k will look like its installing again but you will be given the option to goto recovery console where you can edit the boot.ini file.

Thanks all for the tips - will try it out when I get a free moment.

Just one more!

I don't actually get the black screen - the DOS looking one on startup - flicks straight to colour win2k flash screens after the initial screen when loading.

Is there somewhere I may have turned this off?

One more option to get into the startup-options screen is to hold both control buttons (might work with 1, actually never tried that) during boot untill you see the screen.

Some keyboard sequences that can work (but seem system dependent):

. Hold down F5 during start to enter Safe Mode
. Hold down Ctrl-Shift-Esc during bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back