Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What happened to linux netbooks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achellin

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2010
US
Netbooks have been based of linux, now I HAVE to buy a M$ product? I'm just looking for a EEE, fairly built up with any flavor of linux. I'll be using it to code while in my boring lectures next semester. Also my asus G2 is too fracking heavy to take to class any more.

kjv1611 ...

I started replying to your post. It quickly became more then a page. You simply did not understand a single thing I wrote. Your dead lock on business business business. As other pointed out, this in-particular post.. was not about business. We are not talking about ordering 100 machines. Were not talking transitions, not talking about having linux admins. We are talking end users. Net books. As I pointed out before.

""
erm.. wait what the frack does all this have to do with me wanting a cheap net-book? A professional engineer will NOT be using a Linux netbook to program on. It does not have the screen size, or power to do any real work. Maybe write a 100-2000 line program..
""

So I'm soryr I'm a bit lost. What does any of what you wrote have to do with me not being able to buy a personal linux netbook? If your company gives netbooks to engineers... well I'm so very very sorry.

I must say. Against my logic that no good comes of pointing it out, your saying your not trying to be rude, but you have not only accomplished that but also have aggravated me with your superior attitude. I'm literally being told about my job. I hardly know everything, but seriously, I don't need to be told about my job. I'm sure you know a lot, your post count in proof enough... but you need to read more carefully.

There Are so many many things I can reply to. So many things not correct. For instace I was referring to the manufacturer configuring linux for their machines. Yes it should be imaged the first time no issues using the default drivers on linux. In the case it doesn't one intern at HP DELL and Asus is more then enough to configure the rest. How "too many hardware" configs.. factor. is beyond me. Were not talking about IT putting linux on the machines. . . and if My it department was, we buy all the same models. We then use one image. So yes, one intern can set up the drivers, hook it up to ghost, and done. What's so complex here?? That's not even an afternoon long task.

Now bout that cost of an OS. Again WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT A WHOLE COMPANY. Were talking about personal use for me. NOT A COMPANY. an OEM of an OS is 250 dollars off newegg. The cost to the machines were talking about it 50 to 100 dollars more. Which as were talking about a 200 dollar machine... I have a problem paying 50% of the cost of the machine, just for software I wont use.

Anyways lets get off this tangent.. a reply that says business every other line is in the wrong thread.

Wait what's this talk about you can't ask personal computer questions? The basis of the forum may be professional, but the fact there are "technical" class users is counter intuitive. I joined this site because I needed help with issues we have here in my IT position. Yes I take classes, but that hardly matters. It could be my PHD or taking classes outside my degree. I cannot locate this charter that was mentioned. I will say, I'm not here to ask you to do my "homework" if that is what your concerned about. Though if a student did have a question it is your duty to help them. Note not do their homework, but to help them. Professional snobbery is beneath quality people, and the true masters teach.

Try Amazon, they seem to have some netbooks still with Linux as the main OS, although they are a little older....And you are wrong about the cost of windows 7 on the netbook, as it is starter, and sells for about $15 to the OEM, not 30-50% the cost of the netbook. The main reason you are seeing the bump in price is look at the hardware you are getting. Most linux netbooks came with an Atom 270 cpu, or celeron 900 cpu. 512mb-1GB ram,and storage was 4-8 GB SSD. Now most new netbooks come with Atom 450/455,470. 1-2 GB ram, and 160-320GB hdd, Wireless N over B/G, 10.1-11.1 LED screen over 8.9-10.1 LCD screen. That is the big reason for the price increase, and other than the Linux versions that were being almost given away by AT&T the Linux versions didn't sell real well, Consumers wanted windows, because people don't like change.

Achellin said:
You simply did not understand a single thing I wrote. Your dead lock on business business business.
The cost for manufacturing, marketing, and selling the netbook you buy IS very much so a corporate issue, not a personal one. The reason is the netbook manufacturer is not going to be an individual. The netbook is going to be put out by corporations. The training costs, etc, directly apply there, b/c they have to have Customer Support, Technical support, as well as in house support for internal operations.

It was just mentioned later in the thread about the idea of switching organizations over to Linux from Windows. That idea is not directly on target, but anyone should be able to compare and contrast the two effectively if they wish to consider/debate/understand the choices available.

Back to the original question. For Dell or HP or any other PC manufacturer to support multiple OSes increases costs. They have to either further train existing staff, or build whole separate divisions of staff for support, design, etc. If you can't understand that, then I can't help you for sure.

-------------
Achellin said:
Wait what's this talk about you can't ask personal computer questions?
It's not specifically about being a "personal question". It's about being a "student posting." Frankly that is something specifically mentioned in the Posting Policies for the site. You can find that link just below the "Preview Post" and "Submit Post" buttons on the site. Well, the very words are listed there as well. It's not any elitism or anything, it's just the way it is on this site, period.

Perhaps you didn't notice that I pointed out that you do not appear to be "just a student" from one of your earlier postings. And when Noway2 pointed out it looking like a Student Posting, he did not intend any harm either. The very wording he used should clarify such.

Anyway, whatever you end up doing or not doing, the choice is up to you. The size of netbooks is great for mobility, but not too great, in my opinion, for real usage, especially for something like programming. Of course, that is my opinion.

Whatever you do, take what advice/suggestions you find here as you will, and disregard any you don't want. When I said "not to be rude", that is what I meant... it wasn't an attempt at "elitism" or anything of that sort.

Regarding my posting count, etc, here, I've learned MUCH here on tek-tips, and merely enjoy participating, learning further, and helping others as best I can. I've no reason to have ill will about a technical matter. I mean, how would it affect me, either way? Notta, zero, zilch.

Have a good day, and try not to chew off the ends of too many pencils (I do mean that literally, not figuratively - in case there is any possible figurative understanding of this statement). [wink]

Wow, still a long post.

Well, this is my final say on the subect: IF IT WERE ME, I wouldn't worry about all the what's and hows of the costs. Sure I might think about it, but what good does it do, what does it change? I would simply choose the best hardware for the best money (If I'm going Linux anyway), then I'd get it home, choose the Linux distro I wanted to use, and give it a shot. The beauty of retail is you can return the things for practically any reason, at least early on.

I think we need to clarify what classes as a student posting.

If someone says "I am a student and I'm looking for a good netbook + software combination for my studies" that is pefectly acceptable.

What is not accetable is the sort that go along
"If I were to hook up a windows domian to a Linux domain, what are the risks of doing so? How could these risks mitigated in such a scenario?"

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

To the OP. Have you done a google search for linux netbook for sale???? If you want a Dell, it there. You just have to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back