Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What file extensions are the emails? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixiepoet

Technical User
Jul 25, 2002
US
What file extensions are the emails?
Where can I find, in the GroupWise folder, the past emails?

I am trying to find specific emails from specific dates in a backup of the GroupWise folder that I am no longer using. (The version that I am currently using was a restore from the GroupWise folder from 4 days ago because my GroupWise folder became corrupted.) Unfortunately, I am missing all the emails from the 3 days in between.

Groupwise uses 25 message databases and each user gets their own data base. The user database only has pointers to the message databases for all e-mail. Many users can have their mail in the same database file, and also have their mail in more than one of the message databases. So there really is no file for an e-mail you can restore. The idea behind this is if you send a message to many people in the system. A message can be 30k, and in basic mail system you will place a 30k message in each users mail box. So if you have 100 users, you take up 3megs in the mail system. In mail systems like GroupWise and exchange, you will only use 31k (a pointer can take up as little as a byte). Email adds up, so this saves you space.

To recover mail from those 3 days, you will need to restore the message databases from those three days.

You should try rebuilding your user database so the system will scan the message databases and restore your pointers in your user database. This will extract all mail from any folders you have placed messages into.

Brent Schmidt CNE,Network + [atom]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple [rofl]

As usual, you are great Provogeek. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back