Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What exactly is in the Ointment? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thadeus

Technical User
Jan 16, 2002
US
OK, so I'm reading a sports writer who states that there were "flaws in the ointment", and I think, "silly, silly man".

Then I google his phrase to see how often it is in use on the web. Only 92 hits, but the very first one is an article actually titled "Flaws in the Ointment" from the UPI.

Of course I then search for "Flies in the Ointment" and with 25,600 hits, I assume I have a clear winner.

I can understand the error in ordinary dialect, but I wonder to what degree pronounciation of "flies" as "flaws" is the culprit in this switcheroo...

~Thadeus

I've always heard it "FLIES in the ointment." Was the writer from New England area? I wonder if he/she used a speech-to-text program that picked up the accent incorrectly?

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Based on the nature of the editorial, I think choosing the title, "The Flaws in the Ointment", was an intentional play on words, using 'flaws' instead of 'flies'.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Kuduv been that a baseball batter flawed, as the fielder was catching the fly, by failing to reach first base, so that instead of having flied out, he flawed out. ;-)

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

How do you mean CC?

I ask, because Flies would make just as much sense wouldn't it? Given that the phrase Flies in the Ointment indicates flaws in the salve or problems that come with the cure?

Or am I missing something? Is it really a play on words to say the same thing but use another word? I thought a Play on words would use the same word to say something different... does it go both ways?

~Thadeus

For reference, here is the opinion piece
The Flaws in the Ointment

I believe it is the author's intention to underscore her opinion and belief the policies she's discussing are fundamentally flawed, not just complicated by legal requirements, but fundamentally flawed. Because of that, I think her choice of title is an intentionally play on words.

--------------
Good Luck
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Wait, I thought the piece was about sports (presumably the Yankees?)

Thadeus said:
OK, so I'm reading a sports writer who states that there were "flaws in the ointment", and I think, "silly, silly man".

I would imagine that CC is correct that it is an intential switch of words. If its about the Yankees, without having read the piece, I would assume (which makes a donkey out of u and me) the article is centered on the Yankees spending big bucks to 'heal' their lineup but only getting problems (such as Randy Johnson falling apart, Carl Pavano doing everything wrong, buying overpriced underproducers like Bobby Abreu or fading stars like Gary Sheffield or guys who can never live up the money like Alex Rodriguez) or 'flaws'.

Essentially trying to sooth the problem added more...

Thadeus... any chance you can point to the article in question? Or give a brief summary of it?

Thadeus said:
Only 92 hits, but the very first one is an article actually titled "Flaws in the Ointment" from the UPI.
To clear up any misunderstanding, my comments are related to that UPI article, and a link to that article is in my previous post.

--------------
Good Luck

Let us flee!" said the Fly,
"Let us fly!" said the Flea.
So the Flea and the Fly flew
Through a flaw in the flue.

jsaxe

Mundus Vult Decipi

It should be
That's the fly in the ointment.
If you want to misquote, say
That's the snag in the ointment.

------------------------------
An old man [tiger] who lives in the UK

I rather like Skip's reference to basebawl...

Leaving runners stranded is inhairent to the game (thus leading to tickets being "scalped"); the infield Fly rules, so outfielders don't need ointment. After all, flies are still kinda Wrigley even after you catch them...

A Pitcher of "T" and Catcher in the Wry

[gray] Next Odd Subect: the nexus of Bats vs. Umpires in the "dugout"[/gray]

[blue]_____________________________________________
"As a former farmer, I measure my produce in onces."
[/blue]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back