Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does this message mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmwdmr

Technical User
Jan 10, 2002
US
When I work with more than one table, I often get the message "More than one datasource or a stored procedure has been used in this report. Please make sure that no SQL Expression is added and no server-side group-by is performed."

It is not causing me any problems but since I have to use that one extra keystroke to get rid of it, I would like to know exactly what this message means. For example, I am using more than one datasource so what if had an SQL Expression or was performing server group-by?

If you're linking data from two sources, and you have a SQL Expression, how would it know on which Server/DB to perform the expression? Same thing goes for server-side grouping.

In the BO Knowledge Base, they suggest using subreports when using data from multiple sources, but as long as you don't try anything 'funny' (like the warning implies), and you don't get any errors, don't sweat it.

-dave

It's not that you're using more than one table, it's that you're using more than one data source that causes the problem. If you use 2 tables from the same datasource, it won't error.

-k

I've had the message in Crystal 10, when I added a fresh table to a report that already had tables from the same database. The 'Database Expert' treated them as if they were different, though it also linked them OK.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

If you go to Database - Set Datasource Location, you can check to see if you are using multiple data sources. If not, you should update your report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back