Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What Does This Mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arpan

Programmer
Oct 16, 2002
IN
In the following procedure, what do the 2 lines (in blue color) do or what do they mean?

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE TryParamSP4(
iID IN Try.ID%TYPE)
IS
CURSOR CursorTry (curID int)
IS
SELECT * FROM Try WHERE ID=iID;
curTry CursorTry%ROWTYPE;
BEGIN
END TryParamSP4;

Also can anyone suggest at least one website, if not a few, which provides tutorials in using Cursors in Oracle?

Thanks,

Arpan

hi arpan

try visiting sqlcourse.com or sqlcourse2.com for tutorials

abhivyakti

IS

is defining an explicit cursor that accepts an argument (although I think it's a little honked up; I believe it SHOULD be
IS
SELECT * FROM Try WHERE ID=curID;)

curTry CursorTry%ROWTYPE;
is defining a record variable. In this case it will have a structure identical to a row returned by the cursor CursorTry (and will, since that cursor is doing a select * from Try, be identical to the column structure of the Try table).

Hi Carp,

Thanks for your help. One very important point you have put forward is that the actual SELECT statement should be

IS
SELECT * FROM Try WHERE ID=curID;

& not

IS

This is one point I am not understanding. Why are you saying that in the WHERE clause, it should be curID & not iID? Actually this is the entire procedure (as such, the procedure is working fine):

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE TryParamSP1(
iID IN Try.ID%TYPE)
IS
v_FName Try.FName%TYPE;
v_LName Try.LName%TYPE;
IS
SELECT FName,LName INTO v_FName,v_LName FROM Try WHERE ID=curID;
BEGIN
FOR curTry IN CursorTry(iID) LOOP
DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('FName : ' || curTry.FName);
DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('LName : ' || curTry.LName);
END LOOP;
END TryParamSP1;

As you can see in the SELECT statement, I have used curID in the WHERE clause but I don't understand how curID gets assigned the value of the parameter that is passed to the procedure? For e.g. if the above procedure is executed as follows (I am using an Oracle tool named TOAD to view the output):

BEGIN
TryParamSP1(4);
END;

then how come curID becomes equal to 4 (which is passed as the parameter) & retieves the correct record? 4 is being passed to the variable iID & not curID, isn't it? Am I wrong? If curID in the WHERE clause is substituted with iID, then it is OK since 4 is being passed to the variable iID & thus iID now equals to 4 & thus the correct record gets retrieved. But how the correct record gets retrieved when curID is used in the WHERE clause (as shown in the above procedure & also as you have suggested)?
Please just clarify this doubt.

Thanks once again,

Regards,

Arpan

The reason I said that was because you were not providing us with the rest of the code. Since your original post did not show an IID, there was no way to tell what IID was - and given the frequency of typos in posted code, I assumed that was what I was looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back