Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does this mean? (Port 3127 on router)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tireisias

Technical User
Dec 21, 2005
IL
Good afternoon!

I was using a freeware LAN-monitoring gadget to do some general snooping around my own LAN, looking for security problems, and it reported (in red) that port 3127, which it calls "3127 trojan => W32.Mydoom" is open on my NAT router. I can think of no reason why such a port should be open. None of the other security checks I have performed show evidence of any problems. I can't find anyplace on the router interface where I can close individual ports.

What does all of this mean, and what do I do about it?

Thanks.
T.

This means that the My doom virus attempts to exploit port 3127 and it should probably be closed. What kind of router are you referring to? You'll need to tell us this so that we might help you close the port. First you should find out if any of your applications use this port. One way to do this in monitor traffic on that port and see what you get.

CISSP,ISC2 Affiliate & Instructor, MCT, MCSE2K/2K3, MCSA, CEH, Security+, Network+, CTT+, A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back