Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does this error mean in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatalExceptionError

Technical User
Apr 10, 2001
US
What is this error? I get it when I run an SP that does 1 of 2 queries based on if the user has input information or not. I have several other SP like this but this is the only one that gives me errors. It does not give me an error when I have selection criteria only when its nothing to select on.

I am not using a tempdb at all.

Code:
Could not allocate space for object '(SYSTEM table id: -448728406)' in database 'TEMPDB' because the 'DEFAULT' filegroup is full.

=======================================
The statement below is true
The statement above is false

There are 10 kinds of people, those who know binary and those who don't

Hi,
In SQL all queries are run in the TempDB.
In help file:
• tempdb
tempdb holds all temporary tables and temporary stored procedures. It also fills any other temporary storage needs such as work tables generated by SQL Server. tempdb is a global resource; …

When there are no criteria, may be the record set generated is too big. Right click on the temDB database and look for the file properties to see if it could grow.

Jean-Paul
Montreal
To send me E-Mail, remove “USELESSCODE”.
jp@USELESSCODEsolutionsvba.com

Yes the tempDB is set to automatically grow the filesize.

the problem is that there is not enough disk space for the tempdb to grow further (the 'DEFAULT' filegroup is full)

either shrink some log files on that filegroup or restart SQL server (whenever you restart SQL server the tempdb goes back to 0 MB)

Denis The SQL Menace
SQL blog:
Personal Blog:

Then look how much space left on the drive. Also you could shrink the tempdb file ( Right click on the TemDB and in “all tasks” select “Shrink database”)

Jean-Paul
Montreal
To send me E-Mail, remove “USELESSCODE”.
jp@USELESSCODEsolutionsvba.com

Ahh disk space was the issue someone must have put something on my server. Why didn't I think of that? Oh well hindsight is 20/20 and at least I know next time.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back