Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does the Fixup protocol essentially do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gman10

Technical User
Jul 20, 2001
US
Hi guys,

I have a general idea but can someone walk my thru this protocol and whats it's nature is... would the pix work without implementing it at all..

thanks

GT

gman10,

PIX fixup is related to advance protocol handling. This helps certain protocol that have problems operating with the basic idea of the PIX's Adaptive Security Algorithm (i.e. Allow all outbound connections unless explicitly denied and deny all inbound connections unless explicitly allowed).

Essentially port communication that is negotiated at the application layer, can allow a "fixed up" protocol to dynamically bypass the ASA. This means that dynamically assigned ports used in FTP and Multimedia applications can work correctly through the PIX.

Fixup also knows the correct use of protocols, and can protect against known exploits or "badly behaving" hosts.

A better explanation can be found at:

I hope this helps,

Irregular

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back