Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does T312461mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingus

Programmer
May 8, 2001
US
When I do a browser detect I get the string "T312461" sometimes in conjunction with IE. These browsers also happen to given my web site fits, but I can't figure out what "T312461" so I can get one to test with!

thanks,

mingus

Those of us who applied the Q312461 / MS01-055 security patch to MSIE, we get that string showing up sent to the server. Why in the world our browser advertises that one and not the other patches is beyone my guess. Only purpose I can see is in theory making it easier for some hostile webmaster to identify which MSIE browsers lack the patch. [??]

I removed mine, because it looked funky. I couldn't see it affecting in any way the info needed to used the Microsoft Update site, since the info on applied patches is stored elsewhere and not where this "T312461" string is.

Go to this location in your registry to find that T~ string.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform

This also happens to be the same location that some sneaky ISPs (ATT&T for example) will add in their name, in their "branding" of the MSIE they deliver their users.

There is a second area in the registry for changing another part of that User Agent string which web servers read from our browser. This second one is the ID of MSIE itself, and to me one that one wouldn't want to change. But info on it, as well as the first key where you'll find the T~ sting, you might check this page at regedit.com -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform

One more thing I wanted to add on the subject. At this section of the registry, you can add anything you might wish. (Not sure about max characters, but what you might add there can have spaces and such.)

Adding something there would be a way of having a unique signature, dropped into the webserver logs, saying you were by for a visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back