Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does NT Licensing actually do? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVW

MIS
May 10, 2001
US
I'm confused. I've tried to read the License Information, but I don't understand what happens if you don't keep up your licenses. It doesn't seem to affect the system, it just puts up those events within the event viewer. Can anyone tell me why we need to keep our licenses updated?

I would appreciate it, my boss is asking, and I can't figure out what to tell him...

Thanks for checking this out.

Thanks,
Vince

Tell him, lotsa nasty things might happen... :)

We once ran into trouble, when we were running a new virus-scanner on our system.

Our setup: 20 Workstations, 1 NT Server (25 CALs), about 12 - 18 users logged in at the same time.

For 18 users we had enough licences, but when we installed our virus scanner, it demanded a special account for logginn in to the server. The effect was, that from every machine, there were 2 users logged in at the same time.

At the beginning we didn't see any problems, but whenever we had "full house", the last 3 or 4 people were rejected by the server to login.

It took some time figuring out, what had happened, till we found out how to solve the problem (we let our virus scanner run on the system account).

Therefore I strongly recommend keeping up with your licences (the cost less money a piece, than me ranting around for an hour ;-) )

so long
markus

I appreciate the quick response Sgt Chen. I don't really understand the legalities with NT 4.0. Most of my experience has been OJT. We have a virus scanner as well and I believe it uses an account to log in as well.

Thanks,

Vince

PS Good luck to you... Thanks,
Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back