Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does NS7 dislike about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisHunt

Programmer
Jul 12, 2002
GB
I hate to add to the growing list of Netscrape Sucks threads, but...

I've just posted a new version of this site to the internet:

It works fine in IE, but NS7.01 (from home last night) refuses to apply any styles from the stylesheet. I've validated the HTML in numerous places and the CSS on the W3C validator, it all comes up smelling of roses. What does Netscrape object to?

I have difficulty running anything other than IE from behind our proxy & firewall, so if any of you would take time to visit the site with other browsers and tell me how you get on I'd be grateful!

-- Chris Hunt
Extra Connections Ltd

Hello Chris

I also checked the site in NS7 and it ignored the stylesheet. It works fine in Opera.

Having just experimented with my site at it appears that NS7 doesn't like this: "/css/infolinx.css" in the link tag. Lost the first / and it should be ok

And Nutscrape wonders why they've lost their browser market share... it's not *entirely* because Microshaft was bundling their browser with their operating system that everybody and their hamster uses. It's also because, thanks to having the lion's share of the market, Microshaft can put more resources into coming up with a better product... which means there were absolutely no excuses for DOS 4, Win95, or that font sizing bug in early versions of IE... to say nothing of several ongoing minor CSS issues in IE.
[soapbox]
Anyway, I've blasted both major browsers now, with my criticisms of Nutscrape's limited JavaScript event handling elsewhere in this forum, so I feel impartial again.

JavaStripped
"I did *not* escape. They gave me a day pass."

Strangely enough though, the site looks fine in NS 6.2 for colours and positioning, the only difference is the height of the table cells, it seems to have added about 10px to them all. In Opera 6.05 the banner fonts are one size up from NS or IE.

It's great fun this isn't it!

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Making sure your site looks good in every version of every browser in the world is sure getting to be a pain. For a guy like me working on a small scale site I often wonder if I'd get away with ignoring people who dont use IE, especially as most of my stats suggest that IE is the dominant browser by a long way. Unfortunately I at least like to attempt to do things properly (although I most fail and get lost in a CSS jungle).

BUT surely there must be some kind of cut off point. At university we were still designing for NS4 because this is still the dominant browser in most universities!

I wonder if it is to late to become a plumber!

I think I've tracked it down - the stylesheet is being served up with the wrong MIME type. IE doesn't care - it retrieves the document and uses it regardless of type - NS, Mozilla and co are more fussy. Read more in

Now all I have to do is get our tech services team to add the new type...

-- Chris Hunt
Extra Connections Ltd

so it had nothing to do with the "/" in front of the path? I have had trouble in the past with that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back