Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what does eveyone have there timeout set to???

Status
Not open for further replies.

winkshog

MIS
Aug 3, 2001
US
I have webaccess runing and wouls like to know what other admins have there timeouts set to.

Thanks for the info.

when your not the lead dog the smell is the same

I use the default timeout of 20 minutes. After a little education, my users don't complain anymore.

Increasing the timeout above 20 minutes increases the potential of security problems. Decreasing it can cause problems with users who occasionally get long emails or are slow readers.

-Ron

We all play from the same deck of cards, it's how we play the hand we are dealt which makes us who we are. -Me

murof siht edisni kcuts m'I - PLEH

Is there a default? :p

I guess I'm at the defaults. Never had a problem with it so haven't messed with it. Not much different than what other web apps do.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

marvhuffaker

your users live with 2 to 5 min timeouts????

wish my users were that nice

wink

As I stated above, the default timeout is 20 minutes.

We all play from the same deck of cards, it's how we play the hand we are dealt which makes us who we are. -Me

Are you using an Apache web server, or is Webaccess running on NetWare Enterprise Web Server? I ran Webaccess for a while on a NetWare (Netscape) Enterprise Web Server for a while with the same issue - 5 minute timeouts even though 60 minute timeouts were set on the application in NDS view in C1. I will post the solution if you are running NEWS.

Kratyman
I am now running on Apache. just have user that want to sit with there mailbox open all day. tieing things up.
so i set the time outs to 20mins

thanks for all your input

win

winkshog,

If that's what they want, why don't you just give them the client?

-Ron

I'm having a similar problem. I have set my timeouts to 60 minutes, but users are complaining that they constantly are being disconnected.

Any other ideas on what to do

I doubt that this is the cause, but check to see which web browser they are using.

I have encountered many problems with users who try using WebAccess through AOL. I've resorted to telling them to sign onto AOL to get their Internet connection, but then minimize the AOL interface and use IE to access their email. Seems to work better.

Like I said, it's probably not the cause, but it's worth looking at.

-Ron

Actually thats interesting that you mention the browser. I will check with user to verify. Although one user did mention that when he uses a different browser called FireFox, he has no problems.

I to agree with browsing within AOL browser. Lots of problems within it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back