Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does a SBS 20003 do beyond 5th CAL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loekje

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2001
NL
Hi,

I'm a bit confused: a LAN with 20 workstations (XP prof) uses a plain vanilla SBS 2003.
Now in the licensing app it says there exists only the built in 5 user CAL but that the maximum connected users was 12.

Doesn't SBS cut you off after the fifth user? So this company just violates the license agreements but still is able to use all workstations?

Is my assumption correct?
Then is there a limit to the simultaneous connections?

TIA
Loek Gijben

Should have used the review option better ;^)
nice typo, but my guess is that SBS 20003 will not be released before the end of year 20005...

Ment 2003 of course...

you can always add MORE client access license to SBS, it will give you warnings about too many clients etc.. and eventually will not allow some connections to shares..
depending on if youset it up per seat or per client.. as with all microsoft server products.

Just go out abd pick up a 20 CAL option and add it in.

Thanks Taoto,

This is a situation I encountered at a customers site, and I was wondering how they could function like this.
The only error message in the event viewer applications log on licensing is one about not being able to print due to a license shortage..

So one can connect above the 5 user limit but some functions may stop working?

TIA,
Loek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back