Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what do you usually use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NONASHI

IS-IT--Management
Jun 19, 2011
What do you guys usually choose the DNS server? will you choose a specified DNS provider or just use the DNS services from the web hoster or you use your own DNS product?

Depends on your environment.

Are you Windows, Linux, Workgroup only, Unix, MAC/APPLE?

DNS is usage is based on your environment and what exactly you are trying to achieve.

As TechyMcSe2k says, which DNS server to use does depend on the environment you are using.

I personally run my own DNS server(s) using Bind version 9. I am running this on a couple of Linux based servers. I run my own DNS for the following reasons:
1 - control over the DNS records. I can easily add hosts, MX records, SPF records, etc.
2 - my own edification and learning about Bind
3 - For the "geek" factor, because I can and because I want to.

Otherwise, I would probably just point to the resolvers of my ISP. I am not particularly concerned about the reliability of the DNS servers as an individual component. If I were to loose the internet connection due to any number of other problems, modem failure, power loss, etc, the whole thing would go down anyway. Therefore, I see little to no advantage to put the DNS elsewhere in terms of up time.

Thank you for advise. I want to choose a specified DNS provider. do you have some good suggestions?

If you have a hosted website, then they can be your DNS provider. If you only have internet connection your ISP can be your DNS provider. If you have internal network then you can provide your own DNS with either MS, Linux (BIND), whatever you choose and then point them to outside DNS providor for internet resolution. most DNS utilize Root Hints to do this for you, but most companies use their ISP for dedicated external DNS resolution.

If you are AD then check out this article. Half way down he discusses DNS, root hints and DNS forwarders.

Otherwise, time to get your Google on and research your best option.

Thanks very much!
have you ever heard about DNSPod? My friend suggested me to use their service. I dont know how are about it.

The use of DNS *products* is different then DNS *services*.

For PRODUCTS - If you are rolling your own DNS, you need to use one that works with your basic network setup. If you are all Microsoft, you can use one of the BIND9-based systems that are available for Windows or you can use the Microsoft DNS Service.

If you are using Linux/*BSD/Unix servers, sticking with BIND9 is fairly straightforward.

There are lots of other DNS servers out there, but the Gold Standard is BIND.

For SERVICES (you don't want to host your own), I usually recommend you go to your e-mail provider. Because of the amount of information about mail services stored in the DNS, my experience is that the DNS should be as close to the people that handle your e-mail as possible.

After that, I'd go with the DNS provided by your web hosting company.

After that, I'd use the service provided by your domain registrar.

If neither of those two work for you... Well, you're on your own :) .

Some interesting notes: The 'forward' resolution (name to number) can be anywhere and is linked to your domain registration. Reverse resolution is provided by the people that "own" your external IP addresses. Because of this, it's not unusual for people to actually have two DNS providers (one for the forward addresses, and one for the reverse).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back