Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What do you use for your firewall ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cisco99999

IS-IT--Management
Nov 5, 2007
US
Hi all,

I have a cisco 2621xm but no firewall, i am not sure what firewall to buy for my network! should i go with cisco PIX 515e ? please recommend anything less than $3000.

By the way, does cisco 2621xm have software firewall on it ?

Thanks

WE use juniper-netscreen SS5G's, not the greatest and not my choice. If it was up to me I would have gone with a PIX or ASA.

I wouldn't be so worried about the firewall as I would be the proper configuration. Cisco, Juniper aka Netscreen, and Sonicwall all make respectable firewalls.

which one is best ? cisco vs sonicwall ?

I am about to get cisco pix 515e but not sure if better than sonicwall ! thanks

How many users? If its less than 80 or so than get a Cisco ASA 5505, if its more than 80 get a Cisco ASA 5510. I prefer Cisco because of the features and vast amount of support.

about 70 computers, 10 servers, and growing...

I just checked the price of Cisco ASA 5510 and compare with cisco pix 515e, the prices for both are closed, and i have heard few good things about cisco pix 515e. Should i go for cisco pix 515e then ? Thanks

No, I would not buy a Cisco Pix the 515e is old and will be End of Sale in the future. The Cisco ASA 5510 is the replacement for the 515e.

I've got a 5510 too.

Just got it a couple weeks ago.

Still working on getting it config'd.

is it hard to config ? I able to config cisco 2621 and 2811 just fine but never done anything with cisco ASA 5510 before

The configuration can be done via command line or the graphical interface. There are plenty of guides online and you can find help in this forum.

I would prefer a Netscreen to an ASA, but I guess it all depends on what you want to use it for.

We use the ASA for firewall and SSL VPN. The SSL VPN configuration is pathetic. It has lots of features, but it is an absolute mess to configure. It doesn't hold a candle to a "real" SSL VPN appliance like the Juniper SA (formerly Neoteris.)

The ASA is kind of a bear to configure. I'm still working on it, haha. The operating platform is a little different than Cisco IOS.

Of course, I have three weeks experience with Cisco hardware. I feel like I've learned a lot though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back