Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What do you use for managing passwords for your enterprise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickrude11

IS-IT--Management
Jul 15, 2007
NZ
My company uses a spreadsheet with a password stored on a network share.. not that clever.

Looking for something better, and more practical. Open source or freeware would be good.

What do you use?

I do not use it for enterprise, but I use it for personal use. I highly recommend Keepass. it even has a windows mobile, mac and linux client. I started using it on my desktop, thne on my phone and now on my macbook.

I use a contact entry in Outlook to keep all of my passwords together. SInce I have a crackberry, this is very convenient as I always have them with me.

One thing that makes it convenient for me is that I am the IT department so no one else has the admin pw to log in to my email account.

WOrks well for me, as well as story other usefull information, such as T1 circuit ID's....

Chris
IT Manager
Houston, Texas

For Linux people, how about a text edited with vim, encrypted with GnuPG? I could write something on the matter, but it is most eloquently expressed here:

And I admit that, encrypted on my phone, I have a few emergency passwords stored as well. Otherwise, for last-ditch emergencies, my company keeps a sealed envelope in the safe with all the passwords, not saved in the computer but HARDCOPY.

The passwords in a sealed envelope locked away is a good idea. I've done that at several places I've worked. We always call it a "Bus File". That's in case the person gets hit by a bus and we need the passwords.

That's only as a last ditch back up, not for everyday use by the forgetful. I use Excel on my laptop for that.

I use keepass for both business and personal. Seems great so far.

Anypass is another good one. It's free and relatively secure as far as file encryption is concerned.

SamBones, be aware that Microsoft Excel file passwords can be stripped off or extracted with very little effort on the part of someone interesting in stealing that file.

i-vault from Comodo is ok and is free, the interface is a bit clunky and you have to put up with the "launchpad" but other than that, its a million times better than a spreadsheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back