Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What do you like best about Vista ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

flw

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2007
What features do you like most about Vista that is not in XP or just didn't work as well for Home or Business?

Opinions?

I'll be positive: unattended network discovery and configuration, for a start.

Protection of system files that is more aggressive than in XP. No more applications failing because some flawed installation package overwrote ADO with a flakey mismatched set of files, you can count on the latest VB6 runtime components to be in place, etc.

I hope XP SP3 incorporates some of this.

Search is my favorite current inclusion into Vista. I'm looking forward to greater use of Card Space in conjunction with OpenID.

It might be addictive or something, if there was no Vista, then I would be happily wallowing in XP, now, I just can't work up much enthusiasm for XP after using Vista Ultimate.

linney - I'm curious, what exactly is there in Vista Ultimate? I've been using it for months as my main set up. Day to day, there's nothing that makes me think 'that's so much better than XP' - and there's quite a lot which makes me think 'XP wouldn't do that/make me do that'. I did like the search, but have found in practice I hardly ever use it (most searching done on internet with Google). I still don't understand why they always move control functions from one version of windows to the next (which considering the for example size of the XP user base they want to move to vista is not very user friendly). I just can't work up much enthusiasm for Vista - which is also stopping me investigating it as fully as I might were I enthused!

And performance! The ever spinning circle does my head in sometimes. What is it doing!? (and so random - sometimes app opens immediately, sometimes sits there for 10 seconds).

Wolluf,

My comments are for the x86 version, not the 64bit version of Vista or XP.

This is purely a personal opinion, in fact it is not so much an opinion, more of a comfortable feeling I get when using Vista as a compared to using XP. Maybe it is just a newness versus oldness thing too. Perhaps also because Vista has been with me since the early Beta days. Like I said, I can't put my finger on any one particular reason why I have come to prefer Vista over XP, it didn't happen overnight, it sort of just grew on me and now I am hooked.

Maybe I don't ask too much of any operating system? I surf the net (mostly here), lots of research etc., I do E-mails and a few other personal things, the wife does the books and her genealogy, and that is about it.

Oh, I forgot: Media Center is awesome! How about reading your email in one window, with an NFL game in HDTV going on in another window. :)

wolluf said:
sometimes app opens immediately, sometimes sits there for 10 seconds
It is perhaps UAC heuristical analysis - it can not decide, should application be elevated to admin level, or probably not... Or may be yes?.. No, no, no way... :)

Its new, its different, its 10 minute weekly restart time gives me a chance to walk around the office.

but seriously, I like the sidebar and thats about it.

the eyecandy is okay, but its got nothing on linux+Xorg+compiz-fusion.

I hear vista64 has more driver support than xp64 so I may load that on mine when I slick it soon. currently on business 32bit.

It comes with a built-in chess game. So far that's the best thing I've seen. ;-)

I have a love/hate relationship with Search. Search is fantastic - especially find a music track from the Start search bar.

But Indexing sucks big time.

Like some of the reorganising in Windows Explorer - though some it is ott. Favourites and Links bars are positives.

Readyboost rocks (needs a fast flash memory stick).

Regards: tf1

Does ReadyBoost actually help much for desktop systems? Last time I checked, hard disk access times were at least 10x faster than USB FlashDisks.

My experience with Vista with a reasonably well spec'ed system is that Superfetch is so poorly implemented as to be a hindrance rather than help. I had had installed 4GB memory (dual channel) but 32-bit Vista uses little more than 3GB, so at least 1GB was wasted. AND Superfetch virtually crippled my system for 5 to 10 minutes after startup: even wakeup from sleep mode took 2 minutes and most of this was down to SuperFetch struggling to 'fetch' at the same time as Windows Defender and AV (NOD32) along with a myriad of other Vista special processes* fighting for supremacy. (*trustedinstalled.exe, dwm.exe, searchindexer.exe, wmiprvSE.exe and numerous svhost.exes.)

So I pulled out 2GB memory, disabled SuperFetch in registry and set up Ready Boost (2GB Corsair Voyager GT - about the fastest flash around and available for £15).

It transformed my system. I just cannot describe how revealing the difference is. Sure, I agree with the statement that system RAM should be best, but in practise, (32-bit) Vista just cannot use RAM efficiently or effectively. That's why Ready Boost used with really fast flash memory is better than more RAM.

Review of Voayger GT here
Available at eBuyer for £14.74 (inc vat):

Regards: tf1

Does anyone know of a way to connect several USB flash drives in a RAID 0 array? Then you could have super fast access times + fast transfer rates. :)

I don't see what's so hard about Alt+Print Screen or Cntl+Print Screen and paste in Paint?

I use the 64bit Business version (because I get it free from Uni so it's seems the most logical version)

2 minute boot time and the odd minor issue aside (eg no start menu shortcuts installed by Crysis), I really have come to like Vista. I disabled UAC within about 10 seconds of the first login though, and have resisted enabling the admin account and so far I can't say i've had much difficulty. I did need to tweak some security settings in IE though, but that's no biggie.

I just use sleep generally instead of shutting down, the wake-up time is incredible.

I love the searching from start menu, and from built in search box in every window - it's great and it's so quick.

Eye candy is great when running full Aero

I would like the media centre but beggars can't be choosers.

I'm just not yet quite convinced about 64bit desktop computing! I installed the RC1 SP1 and it just seemed to cause crash after crash...

Interesting point about superfetch made earlier

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back