Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What do you do for security in win 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2004
US
I have a network with about 30ish workstations and 2 DC's running 2000 server.

I'm hoping to get some input on how every here assigns permission etc for local machines. We have all our in the power user group.

I want to make sure people are not able to download and install things. I've noticed some putting those dump themes that change the cursors to animals etc. Who knows where they are getting them from.

I curious to see how everyone has the network secured using GPO,permissions etc etc.

I've always used paper and pen. Sit down and make a list of do's and dont's pertaining to the use of the computers. Make sure you tell users in the document what sites are permissible and which aren't. Make sure places like gator and weather bug are not allowed. These kind of programs allow PC's to be connected to the servers at all times, so if the server at weather bug gets infected, the user is infected and so is you're network. As far as the cursors go, a lot of them come with the OS. When a person gets an IT account and email, go over the document with them, explain what the document is for, what it covers and have them sign it. If later on you've found they've done something that the document explicitly says they shouldn't have done, you have something to fall back on. Good luck.b

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from the Illinois or Florida area, check out Tek-Tips in Chicago IL
To get the best answers to your questions, check out faq950-5848

The Internet policy GlenJohnson recommends is a good approach although I would recommend looking into Group Policies as well and 'locking down' PCs so they cant download / install such progs. I dont think there would be the need to have everyone in the 'Power User' group either.

Anyone know a good resource that tells you exactly what setting to change to get the required results out of GPO like stopping downloads and above all not letting them install unless they have admin access.

I have a book (unfortunately it's at work, so I don't know the exact title at the moment) called
"Windows XP Security" (or something similar).

It tells you all sorts of neat things.

Last week I had a user who insisted that she needed Administrator priv's so a vendor could install the software she needs. Using this book, I both added her to the Admin group and yet specifically denied her access to certain things, like mucking around with Security...

I'll E-Mail myself the link to this thread and add the exact name and publisher, etc. of the book from work.

Seumas

Title: Windows XP Professional Security
Authors: Chris Weber and Gary Bahadur
Publisher: McGraw Hill (ISBN: 0-07-222602-1
Copyright (c) 2002 by The McGraw Hill Companies

Retail price is $49.99 US / $74.95 CDN

This book also covers Windows 2000 Server and Windows .NET Server (which became Winsows 2003 Server).

There may be a newer edition.

Here's a link to it on Amazon.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back