Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What do I need to test POS integration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Corbett

Programmer
Mar 1, 2017
US
Hi everyone,

I am very new to this industry (I have never programmed anything for POS). I am currently trying to setup software that integrates with multiple POS with omnivore.io. I however want to do real testing with a real machine but I have no idea what to buy.

To be specific, I am trying to purchase a POS to test with, or possibly software.

I am seeing things like this, assuming that I can figure out how to set it up:

But wondering if I need all of this or if I can just get something like:
(or if this is just a screen for it and you need a central server?)

Or if there is a way just to purchase the software and install it on a windows laptop or something, as long as it can simulate a real environment i.e. have stock, employees, purchases etc.

I am very sorry if I am being very broad here, I am happy to elaborate, I am just completely lost. I have done research before asking on here but a lot of it is a little over my head and I feel like I am going around in circles.

ANY help at all or even pointing me in the right direction would be VERY much appreciated!

Thanks!
Tom

Those are more or less dummy terminals that are operating based off packages downloaded from a central server.
For testing, you'll need a copy of the Micros RES 3700 Software (likely 5.2+)
From there, you can really be creative - with the right CAL packages and workstation programming, RES itself can be run on pretty much anything. For instance, I use a spare server with VMWorkstation and have a beefier VM configured as a server, with subsequent VMs setup as workstations/KDS for testing.

If you're set on purchasing a physical workstation though, don't go for that 2nd one you linked. WS4 just became or is about to become EOL within the week. Oracle will no longer provide hardware or software support for them.

Hi JVPZoom,

Thank you so much for your quick answer.

I am not so much "set" on buying a physical device but I am completely fine with spending 200/300 hundred bucks to avoid the pain of trying to run all this stuff on an old Windows laptop of mine in several VMs.

I was looking at Micros 3700/e7 because one of my first customers uses this. I don't really have access to their stuff though so thought it would be fruitful to try and mirror their setup at home so I can hack away.

What would your recommendation be? And if I found something like the first one, do you think this would be OK? Or are you saying I would need to install a server somewhere and these machines I am linking to from Ebay would just link to that (i.e. I would still have to set stuff up on my machine?).

Apologies again if I am being dense here, just don't want to go the wrong way with this.

Last question, if I was going to setup on a Windows machine do you know of any guides available to do this? I am not finding it easy to even find a copy of the software anywhere even to purchase. I can find license keys on Ebay and that is about it.

Thank you so much for your help again with this!!
Tom

Tom,
What you a re linking to are just dumb work station clients. They would still need to connect to a server where you have the core software installed. I would assume it will be the server (where the database is) that you will want to interface to. So you would be better off just getting an old computer and installing Micros RES on it. The install files for RES 5.2 and up are readily available as are the install documents. You will be able to run the RES software in demo mode. If you are looking to interface through a SIM or API programming you may need to buy a license for these, which means most parts of the software will need a license i believe.
For Micros
Software can be found at Documents including install guides can be found at

Wildbar,

Thank you very much for your advice, I could not for the life of me find a download for this software somehow! I will try this method!

Thanks so much guys, really very helpful!!!
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back