Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what do I need to do this?? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hassified

Technical User
Jun 25, 2002
US
Ok, I've had an idea for a really good site for some time and now I am ready to put into motion. The main idea is to have a site that would consist of just a couple of pages. thats the easy part. the hard part is that I would like it set up so to have members. Now say you are someone that would like to become a member I would have you fill out a form that would give you a user name and password, once a member you would have your own folder that would have a couple of .html files you could edit(like for having your own gallery), the user name and password would just be there so to log in for editing your pages, but any one could view the pages. My question is what do I need to have that would auto make the folder with user name and password and also an editable page template???
Program or some sort of scripting??? And what is the best way to host the site, on my own or pay hosting(I prefer web based pay hosting)?? THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Life Is Good.
HASSIFIED

Well as such a thing already exists and has done for quite some time now in the shape of weblogs (blogs). Googling for weblogs or blogging scripts and a few related other phrases should bring up a few hundred results.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
A website that proves the cobblers kids adage.
Nightclub counting systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I've had an idea for a really good site for some time and now I am ready to put into motion.

I think you may have sat on your idea for too long - the likes of Geocities, Blogger and Pbase have been doing that for years.

However, it would be fairly easy to develop a simple system if you know some perl, php, asp or other server-side scripting language. If not, you can find some ready-made solutions at (including some free ones). As Chris suggests, blogging software may be another way to go. Whatever you use, you can host it where you like (though you should check the terms & conditions of any hosting deal to see if they allow you to sub-let).

I

-- Chris Hunt

I had a great idea once for delivering music broadcasts over a wireless network of some kind.

Then it occured to me that this was called "radio".

Unless you've got some new gimmick, or group, there are already tons of site that do that.... especially for photography

To everyone here:

The user's question was not "do you think this is an original idea", but rather, "what resources do I need to make this work."

It's entirely up to hassified as to whether his/her idea is original enough to go forth with.

hassified - to do this you'd need any of the scripting languages that will communicate with a database. My favorite combination is, and always will be, PHP scripting language communicating with a MySQL database using an Apache server.

There are many resources online to get you started.

Hope this helps.

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
Ham and Eggs walks into a bar and asks, "Can I have a beer please?"
The bartender replies, "I'm sorry, we don't serve breakfast.

Hassified: Your photograph restoration work is pretty good. If what you want is to have a website where you can gather digital artists like you and show off/advertise their work I think I follow your idea.

If what you have in mind is just allow people to go in and modify any kind of info, then I agree with previous postings. There are a bunch of places with deep pockets that give this kind of services for free.

grtfercho çB^]\..
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" A. Einstein
-----------------------------------------------

Thanks to everyone that read my post and gave real help. To those worried about my idea, yes it is original just didn't want to go into great detail about it.

Life Is Good.
HASSIFIED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back