Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What do I need for Web Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagel

Technical User
Aug 19, 2001
CA
Hi there,

I don't even know I am posting at the right forum. I wish there is a more general forum here. anyways, i would like to know what do i need to setup my own web server with my cable connection? i have 2 computers, and want to network them as well as using one of them as a web server. do i need to use win2000 server, or i can just use win2000 pro? any suggestions on how should i set it up are welcome. thanks.

William

Well really all you need is IIS which you can install on win2000 pro,My web server is server200 and I use DNS as well,The only problem is with your cable connection you may get your IP address DHCP which means your ip address will change every time,and if it doesnt and you have a static address they may limit your upload speed which will make your site slow.
Good luck
Nick MCP A+

First, register your domain at Edit your domain alias to point to your HOSTNAME, that way, if your IP changes, the site won't. register.com uses their DNS so nothing to do besides edit your domain alias. Your hostname of your machine is probably hxxxxxxxxxx.ne.mediaone.net if you use mediaone, if you use another cable service, call the ISP to get your hostname. Install IIS or apache and you should be all set, feel free to contact me for more info, I have done it 5 times for people so far and worked everytime...

thanks, but I heard IIS 5 is only come with 2000 server, so if i use IIS 5, then i will need to setup 2000 server i guess. but i also heard that there are many security problems with IIS and you need to install alot of patches, is it correct? And is it difficult to use? i saw review that apache is very easy to use either. well.. i am no network wiz, in fact i don't have too much knowledge. so is there any easy but secure server that i can use?

As far as I know you can use IIS5 with windows pro and I will say its not that simple if you have no previous experiance with IIS.
The only way to learn is to play with it.
As far a security anything with MICRSOFT will always have patches to install but as long as you are aware of this its not too bad

Nick
MCP A+

So.. is there any easier solution for Web Server? Any more suggestions?

From a flock of Microsoft-bred sheep: a simpler solution may be to use a website hosting provider.

thanks for all the suggestions...

First, I agree with wardo, Apache is definitely the way to go. Unfortunately, it is not for the faint of heart IMHO.

As stated, IIS will run on 2K Pro, but you will be applying patches almost weekly, if not more! It is extremely unsecure (or is that insecure!) out of the box. Can you say Code Red?

Finally, I use No-IP ( for my dynamic DNS. You simply register as a user (for free), input your initial IP address, and download a client that will automatically update No-IP when your IP address changes. BTW, these clients are available for Windows, *nix, and Mac. And if you want, you can enter MX records to play around with an email server.

Whatever you choose, I agree with n0795, the only way to learn is to play!

Thanks wahooguy, I guess the rule of learning, there is nothing better than try it, and maybe learn from mistake. Anyways, there are quite a few people suggest Apache, I guess that's the one I should try, but I also read that it doesn't have a user friendly interface, so it is going to be hard to play with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back