Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what do I do with Currupted mdb file

Status
Not open for further replies.

nativ

Programmer
Jun 4, 2001
ZA
Hi

I have a rather large MDB file with much information.
A commit process begun and never ended and now the file is currupted and doesn't open.
I even tried to use JetComp to compact it but it wouldn't open.
Does any one know how to fix this?

Thanks
Nativ

Yah...
I also was encountered such troubles. Try to create new (blank) database and then import all objects how much it's possibly from currupted DB. Usually tables and data import move succesful but...

Good luck!
Aivars

P.S. Next time make backup. You'd better believe it - I know...

Thanks, but no can do.

The only way to fix this one is to go into the file and fix it, and I was hopping someone would know how to do that.

thank anyway.

Nativ

p.s. I'm trying to fix a database for a client who will now backup more often :)

I had an MDB that wouldn't open. I ran the compact utility and then the repair. Might work, worth a try.

Sorry - tried that.
Acctually, JetComp is a program which does it and sometimes even mannages to fix databases which the simple compact doesn't.

Nevertheless, I'm getting the feeling this database is unfixable.

Thanks anyway

nativ

Nativ,

Have you tried the decompile start up command? If not, try it by creating a shortcut on the desktop with the following: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\msaccess.exe" "C:\DatabaseDirectory\DatabaseFile.mdb" /decompile

If it's Access 97, just follow the instructions. If it's Access 2000 you won't have any indication that the code has been decompiled, but it has been. Then go into a module and Compile and Save your code. Then repair/compact the database.

Post back with any questions.

HTH

Dave

Dave

Well, tried that, but it seems that access first tries to open the file before decompiling it or something like that. I don't really know.
What I know is that it still gives me the same message:
"The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time."

Thank you for trying

Nativ

Hi again!

Maybe you can save tables data. Try to create links to tables from another DB (step by step link one table per time). Some time ago I saved data with links to bad DB successful.

Aivars

P.S. Henceforth split DB: Application asunder data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back