Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What device for server with Asterisk and Sphinx4? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnyjj2

Technical User
Jul 28, 2009
PL
Hello :)!

I'd like to create application such that: 1. User calls from mobile phone special number. 2. Server receives this call and talks to the user based on speech recognition (Sphinx 4) and playing some short mp3s. Speech recognition requires only digits and about five control words. 3. Server saves on its disc some little file based on this connection.

I guess it can be done with the use of Asterisk + ScribbleJ + Sphinx4.

What kind of device do I need to connect to server? I guess something must be added to server so that it can receive a call. But it depends on how the call is created on mobile phone. It can be just ordinary calling a special number (I don't know about mobile phone technologies enough much - what is the name of technology responsible for ordinary calls from mobile phones?). The other approach is running some MIDlet or application for Symbian to make this call (it would mean using internet connection).

Thanks very much for your answer in advance :)!
Greetings!

Cant you just use a SIP trunk or normal analog phone line using a sangoma or Digium card?

If I would use normal analog phone line, it means I will create PSTN/ISDN cable telecommunication network in the company. And I need to connect FROM MOBILE PHONE to server. Am I right or do I misunderstand something?

As far as I know, Asterisk can receive call in three ways: through internet (with VoIP operator), through analog line or ISDN PRI. That first option has got disadvantage which is buying hotspot. I need to apply my solution in environment where the phone will be used 2-3 km from server and there may be some interrupting wireless signal (however only may, there won't be for sure). (I also thought about GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA but I don't understand the main idea of this, simple I guess, thing - is it after all the same as connecting through internet? afaik it is to send data through mobile telecommunication network). And 2nd&3rd options are, as I understand, if I'd like to create wire telefonic network PSTN/ISDN inside the building.

I guess there must be way to have just ordinary call from mobile phone (like calling a friend) which can be received on mobile phone.

Can you suggest me anything, please?

Thanks very much for your help in advance!
Greetings :)!

You are basically correct. Asterisk can be connected via VoIP, analog lines, T-1/PRI, or BRI. Not sure why you say you have to purchase a hotspot for VoIP. You need an internet connection and a VOIP account.

Not sure why the distance is an issue. Once the Asterisk server is setup, you should be able to call from anywhere in the world.

Thanks for your answer :)!

In general my knowledge is somehow limited so I would be greatful if you can give me links to informations which can help me to understand these things according to my requirements because wikipedia wasn't too helpful for me.

If I'd like to connect from mobile phone to internet, I need to have access to the internet. This access I can have e.g. from local wireless access to internet through local hotspot. The distance would be an issue if I have hotspot / local wireless router. I know there is thing like mobile internet but I guess it may be still too expensive to use it much time every day for my ivr/asr application. What are other ways to connect to internet from mobile? I know GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA can be used for both audio and data transmission but I don't know how to use these technologies as a programmer. I thought it is up to operating system of mobile to choose which of these would be used. How can I benefit from these technologies in my application?

I guess it is lack of basic knowledge in the case of somehow difficult project but if you can explain me above things, I think I should be able to move forward. From my point of view speech recognition is much simpler in comparing to creating audio connection between mobile phone and server.

Greetings :)!

Again, the mobile phone will just dial a telephone number which then connects to Asterisk. Asterisk then does your voice recognition you were talking about.

If you want to connect your Mobile phone to your asterisk system, you will need a mobile phone that has a sip client (application). The phone would also need to support WiFi, or the cellular carrier would have to allow Voip over its data network.

The asterisk box can be connected to the rest of the world via;
1. Analog lines (PSTN)
2. ISDN (PSTN)
3. SIP (Over the internet DSL/T1/WiFi...)
4. GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA (You need to have an account with a cellular provider)

Option 1 and 2 require your phone company and the PSTN, the cell will just call the phone number to access the Asterisk box.
Option 3 requires a SIP provider and an internet connection. The Cell phone will just call the phone number to connect to the Asterisk box.
Option 4 requires an account with a Cellular company and the cell phone will just call the phone number to access the Asterisk box.

So, Unless your cellphone can be a SIP client, it has to dial a phone number to connect to the Asterisk box. That phone number will be from either a SIP provider, The Phone Company, or a Cellular company...

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back