Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What datasource to use with 800k rows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hansdebadde

Technical User
Jan 20, 2005
CA
I am using Crystal Reports 2008, and i have a report that i need export its results and then pull those results into another report. Normally i would just use a subreport but i have so much data that i need to export the results and pull them in so its not too slow. I will be using crystal enterprise each night to export the data and then use it as datasource. The problem is I can't figure out how to export that much and pull it in. I can't store on a SQL server database, and it has to be something Crystal enterprise can export. Excel does not allow enough rows. I can't use ODBC as Crystal enterprise won't have that odbc connection to export the report. Any ideas? Am i missing something?

You could export it to a delimited text file and create an ODBC for that text file you exported. The text file could be imported into access too.

Thanks. i may have neglected to mention the report needs to be self sufficient, I don't want to have to import it into access every night manually. If the report will need to use an odbc connection doesn't the CMS of Crystal Enterprise need the same ODBC connection as i need the report to run in Crystal Enterprise?

Hi,
Crystal can,as you know, export the data but it cannot directly enter that data into a database .

Your options are limited to what you can automate in your system. Exporting/loading/reading cannot, as far as I can tell, be made automatic without operating system scheduling and, even then, it isnot a trivial task.

As to ODBC, yes, the Enterprise Server must have an ODBC ( if you want to use ODBC) DSN configured to match the one used in the report - which is not unusual - but, since you are running the report for export, I assume you have a databaase connection established - Ideally that same connection can be used to handle the load tasks ( again with some operating system scheduler involvement).

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back