Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What database to use in an application

Status
Not open for further replies.

StellaIndigo

IS-IT--Management
Sep 19, 2002
GB
An app I am to develope requires a database of products. The app could be running on a single PC or multiple PC's connected together all accessing the same DB.

Any suggestions on the best database to use?

The only requirements are it must be able to support multiple users and have the facility to prevent the end user tampering with the data from another app (like Access).

Regards
Stella

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

I have been impressed with MySQL.

It's very fast and is scaleable to very large databases.

It can also be used free of charge but check the for conditions.

Delphi support is quite good for MySQL but you might have to dig around to get documentation (or ask in this forum).

I can't really compare MySQL with other DBMS as I only have experience of dBASE, Paradox and MySQL. Whilst Paradox is quite good for small to medium databases it's a pain to use in a multi user environment and it runs out of steam when tables get large.

Andrew
Hampshire, UK

facility to prevent the end user tampering with the data from another app (like Access).

How would you expect that to occur? I'm pretty sure there are ODBC drivers for just about every database system in wide use. Anyone with a little bit of knowledge will be able to connect to the database, but without the proper login, they wouldn't be able to actually do anything. I would say it's more a matter of setting up proper security so that only authorized users can access the data.

Leslie

Thanks for your input.

Towerbase, I've downloaded MySQL but not had chance to look at it yet. Do you use any specific MySQL libraries? I noticed a few downloadable libraries available as shareware. Paradox, yuk! used that years ago with BP7.

Leslie, I left the question open for other DB engines or proprietory DBs. I used Turbo Powers BTree Filer with BP7 but I don't know how this works, or if it works with Delphi. It had no DB meta data so you needed the source code for the schemas.

Thanks anyway.

Regards
Stella

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Stella

I use dbExpress with Delphi 7 (I think it was first introduced in Delphi 6).

There are other libraries available but I have no experience of them.

Andrew
Hampshire, UK

I use MySQL and i have no problems. It's very fast, stable. You can access throwgh ODBC or, better directly if you use VCL Access Componets by crlab.

Giovanni Caramia

Many thanks for your input. I think I'll have a look at MySQL.

Regards
Stella

I personally recommend Firebird. Im a bit suprised that no one else has suggested it actually.

AFAIK, it has Java and ODBC support. Its OpenSource (free) and its a true Client-Server database (unlike Access and many others.)

It is well supported (via newsgroups) and has a wide user-base. It is actually an open source version of InterBase by Borland.

If you check out the Case studies on Borlands web site, you will find that there are many large companies using it to great effect (well most site the early Interbase versio actually). Here is a link :

And here is a link to the Open Source version :

Hope this helps..

Opp.

I use Firebird too. It's 100% free, stable, fast, lots of options and also has an embedded version.

Neither does Firebird once you include the DLL. I don't see the advantage of a VCL over a dll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back