Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What creates multiple smsccmbootacct profiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azoun

Technical User
Apr 6, 2001
US
I have over a dozen of these profiles on one machine and i am not sure what keeps creating them after I delete them.

A bad client install or having messed up site boundaries can cause this, or having domain controllers that are 2 busy to respond to the clients. I upgraded from SMSsp2 to sp3 & in the process about half my client's lost their link to my site server. In the end what seems to create all of the bad profiles is that when the client tries to perform a scheduled function (ie. hardware inv. & it can't reach the site server it seems to think that maybe I have a bad client profile\login so it creates another & another, etc...) To fix this on my machines, I did the following, & this may not be the easiest way to do it, but I was on my own & it seems to fix it.
1) make sure the subnets of the muti-sms-profile clients & detected & enabled in the site boundaries & discovery areas of the admin console.
2) run 20clicln.bat /scrub on the local machine to completely remove the sms client (it's on the BackOfficeResourceKit CD)
3) login to the machines as a local admin & delete all of the sms profiles, the new install will recreate the correct ones.
4) use smsman.exe or allow the clients to pull the client again(may take a day or few) & you shouldn't see the excess profiles show up anymore.

BTW - if enough of these bad profiles are created it can overflow the registry & toast some profiles - if you see this happen it renames the last logged on profile as username.000 & tries to create a new one, then you can clear out the bad profiles & rename the .000 back to it's correct profile name to recover them. Also increasing the allowed size of the NT registry can buy you some time on machines with lots of profiles.

Good luck, Mike C.

A bad client install or having messed up site boundaries can cause this, or having domain controllers that are 2 busy to respond to the clients. I upgraded from SMSsp2 to sp3 & in the process about half my client's lost their link to my site server. In the end what seems to create all of the bad profiles is that when the client tries to perform a scheduled function (ie. hardware inv. & it can't reach the site server it seems to think that maybe I have a bad client profile\login so it creates another & another, etc...)

To fix this on my machines, I did the following:
NOTE!!! this may not be the easiest way to do it, but I was on my own & it seems to fix it.

1) make sure the subnets of the muti-sms-profile clients are detected & enabled in both the site boundaries & network discovery areas of the admin console.
2) run 20clicln.bat /scrub on the local machine to completely remove the sms client (it's on the BackOfficeResourceKit CD)
3) login to the machines as a local admin & delete all of the sms profiles, the new install will recreate the correct ones.
4) use smsman.exe or allow the clients to pull the client again(may take a day or few) & you shouldn't see the excess profiles show up anymore.

BTW - if enough of these bad profiles are created it can overflow the registry & toast some profiles - if you see this happen it renames the last logged on profile as username.000 & tries to create a new one, then you can clear out the bad profiles & rename the .000 back to it's correct profile name to recover them. Also increasing the allowed size of the NT registry can buy you some time on machines with lots of profiles.

Good luck, Mike C.

Also check your SMS accounts in that domain, make sure they are there and not locked out. I had the same problem, our security group delete some accounts used by SMS and the clients started having problems. SMS would try to install the client software but did not have the correct permissions since its account it used for access had been deleted. One other problem with that is you can't recreate them you have to reinstall to get those accounts back. SMS creates them and does all the password changes etc... Pain but once I reinstalled the SMS server the multiple profiles stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back