Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what CPU for vMCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

danramirez

Programmer
Oct 25, 2009
ES
Hi,

We currently have our vMCD on a server with two Intel Xeon 5530 CPUs. We are now planing to buy a new server (Dell R420) so we can vmotion our vmachines, etc. The trouble is we have no idea what CPUs to choose for the new server so vMCD will run correctly. Currently Dell and other vendors offer Intel CPUs that are not Xeon 55 series anymore, instead they have procesors like: Xeon E3, E5, E7.

Engineering Guidelines only say:

The minimum hardware required to support the vMCD is an Intel based server with a minimum Xeon 5500 Series @ 2.26GHz using Intel Nehalem micro-processor architecture, with hyper-threading enabled. Other suitable families within the Nehalem architecture include the Westemere-EP (5600 series) and Nehalem-EP (formerly known as Westmere-EP and Beckton 6500 and 7500 series).

We don't see the Nehalem qualification for these new E series CPUs.

Any idea what Xeon E Series CPUs comply with what Mitel requires for installing the Virtual MCD.

Regards,

Daniel

I have run into this a few times and the short answer is the Xeon E3 series does everthing the old Xeon 5620 could do in quad core formate and will support vMCD. This is according to our Mitel Sales Engineer. We have ran a vMCD and vMAS with other apps on a E5 series Xeon but they had more Windows servers as well.

I know you are buying both Intel systems but just a reminder for others reading this, VMWare vMotion requires same processor manufacturers or it will not work. I am using R620's.

danramirez keep in mind its not Mitel that determines the functionality of vMotion. The vMCD doesn't give a rats bum. Its VMWare that is setting the requirements for its advanced features like vMotion so you need to focus more on their guidelines. When Mitel states a limitation on some VMWare feature its most likely due to what VMWare does during the feature. An example is the vNupoint. If you check the Eng Guidlines its lists VMWare features that are not supported. Alot of these are in relation to IP addresses established in the VNupoint and the fact they can't change on the fly if the destination VMWare host doesn't support the same subnetting ( not a VMware expert so forgive my over simplification ). So in the Nupoints case vMotion works seamlessly but HA will require an outage.

So to answer your original qustion, the best bet is to try to get as close as possible to a matched pair in CPU families.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back