Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What could it be? router, cable or XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotaru

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2002
US
I run a small network that uses a workgroup of 12 clients. I have a 4 port router running to a switch and then out to the workstations. The workstations are spread out over 3 buildings. One particular run is long so I went about 65 to 70 meters and put in another small hub/switch to act as a repeater. From there to another hub/switch about the same distance away. It was the only way I could think to do it withou fiber. To my surprise, everything worked very well. No packets lost. Then, 1 year later....something happened (maybe lightening). The long run with the extra hubs and 3 workstations, quit working. They send packets but aren't receiving like they should. I can get 100% then 10 seconds later I can ping and get 50% loss or more. All stations us XP. Main switch is Linksys and the router is a broadband D-Link. I might be int he wrong forum, but if there is help out there I could sure use it!

My guess would be one of the switches in the middle is either bad, or just a bad port. I'd start by changing the port the cables use on the intermediary switches and see what happens. Also if you have a cable tester you can check the cable to see if its gone bad, but I doubt it. Also make sure the nic card on the pc is not the source of your problem, by moving the pc to another network drop and seeing if it works.

I have little experience with D-link, but quite a bit with Linksys. My guess is that your power strike made the power supply dodgy.

Even if not still in warranty, Linksys is nice enough to replace the power supply unit.

If you had managed switches you could check if the ports were returning crc errors. Chances of cable failure are remote although still can't be cancelled out with a proper cable tester (to cat5e standard). Have there been iny electrical work carried out which might have introduced noise on the cabling??

If no physical changes to enviroment, then I would agree with the concensus that its a switch issue.

The only thing that is new is a new workstation coming off one of the intermediate switches. I have a 16 port linksys switch running 9 workstations then the other 3 are on the "long" run in other buildings. Shouldn't I be running the "long" run out of the router since it is running into a switch or should i come out of the main switch? Or does it matter. There has been some changes to the ports...could it be that I need to be going into an "uplink" port? I've been working on it so long the last couple days I'm confusing myself!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back