Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What causes licenses to go Invalid

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingableinc

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2007
US
In my case, it's parallel dongle on the same box as VM PRO server. Services are consistently running and no issues in the event log.

From the IPO hardware standpoint, what triggers the licenses to go invalid. Is there a specific timeout-time from the time the IPO does not see the keyserver does it make it invalid.

It's a moot issue for me as I have gone the path of swapping the dongle out with a serial dongle.

is the vmpro server connected straight in to the ipoffice ?
maybe a switch or router is blokking something ?

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

The frequency of the issue increased to the point where I just needed to resolve the issue. I put a log between the 2 and packets never dropped the entire time but suffice to say....it went down.

I recall someone stating the timeout value is like 4 hrs, and then the IPO would drop but this certainly can't be the case as I visually saw the licenses as valid around noontime and later that same afternoon, the IPO dropped the licenses for the umpteenth time.

IPO is plugged directly to the VMPRO server. A I know 3.22 has been out for awhile but these issues only really cropped up from upgrading from 2.53

licenses go invalid when the IPO can't communicate to the license server. I know that sounds rather basic.

Was the license icon all red or was it white with a red X?

You mentioned upgrading so there is a well known quirky issue with the license server during the upgrade process. Sometimes you have to uninstall, disconnect the dongle and reboot, then reinstall, connect the dongle and reboot again to get it to function properly. At least that's one way I've corrected the issue after an upgrade. It all keys on that icon status

License Key was all red.

Thanks for the tip on the uninstall/reinstall procedure. The few times when the licenses were invalid, the 1st thing I checked everytime the vmpro goes does was confirming if the dongle was being read *red icon* and also if the the services were running.

I just wanted to know for future reference re: the issue, but for now, I just went ahead and have a serial exchange swapout planned.

It's been going down at the most inconvenient times. I can setup monitors to trigger when a service goes south, but is there a way to trap a alert if the licenses is reading invalid ? This would be interesting to know.

what version you running?
Im sure you can smtp email alerts out if the lics change state.
From the system tab

ACA - IP Office Implement
ACA - IP Telephony
ACS - IP Office Implement
CCNA - Working towards.

if you are on an older release you can do SNMP traps. you just need a server to send them to. You may be able to get like Kiwi or something.

I don't know if this helps or not. Our IP 403 uses the serial dongle attached directly to the unit. I have noticed that sometimes all of my licenses will go invalid and that if I log into the IP Office Manager the number of the serial number on the dongle has changed. It sometimes will do this after a "When free" reboot. Powering off the main module and then firing it back up always resolves the issue.

J.

Are you sure there is no anti-virus/anti-worm/anti-spyware/software firewall type junk loaded on the key server?

3.2 has been very robust in solving invalid license issues for me. It almost seems like it checks periodically for the dongle instead of just once like in 3.1 and earlier.

------------------------------------------
Wash, rinse, repeat.

Have a look in the C:\DbgOut.txt file on the dongle PC, you may be able to find the interval that it checks. Look for Hiword, Status and Loword entries.

We got so sick of dongle issues pre serial days that we used a crack for keyserve, so its been a while since I've done anything with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back