Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What can I do myself if the bearings are stuck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airtight

Technical User
Apr 16, 2003
US
The bearings on the drive will BARELY turn... I opened it up and did it by hand and it still won't budge... what then?

thread751-519073
my reading in this thread would indicate that if you've opened up the drive yourself in something other than a saferoom environment, you're done and have no chance of recovering anything.

If the drive wasn't ruined before it's almost 100% that it is now you've opened it up.

---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

You should have tried shaking it first.

;o)

I hope that data wasn't too valuable.

Well I tried all of the easy stuff before I opened it up. I couldn't even turn it forcefully by hand when I opened it up. That's how bad it was...

Buya drive of the same make and model and use the spindle motor from that. This will cost you $$$ and 1% success rate.

Data recovery companys are there for a purpose but at a price ;O)

Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus
Magnus frater spectat te...

How can you increase the % rate of it actually working when replacing those parts, aside from doing it in a "clean" environment?

Hi,

It's the motor bearings that are gone on your drive, that is why you cannot turn the platters easily.

It's a tricky job at the best of times :O)

Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus
Magnus frater spectat te...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back