Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

what can DBA do to make life better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maswien

Technical User
Sep 24, 2003
CA
I'm a new SQL Server DBA, I can think of two things DBA need to do all the time,

1. Properly detect the potential problems or ongoing
problems using qualified tools and correct methods

2. Properly fix the problems using qualified tools
and correct methods

I kind of think DBA may mostly count on the specific tools to check things other than staying in the Query Analyzer, so tools like performance monitor, maintenance plan, SQL Profiler must be used every day by DBAs, am I right? The most important thing is to discover the problem, so maybe a DBA need to spend a lot of time in learning how to detect potential problem in the database and practising detecting process. When problem ideed happens, it's relatively easier to choose a correct solution to fix it.

A question for the SQL Server DBAs:

What's the most important problem detect process in your administering? In the daily basis, what tools you use for that purpose?

Thanks you in advance.

Well there are a number of tasks that a DBA can perform in his day to day tasks. One foremost thing is to understand your logical design of the database, if you have not been the db designer. To understand the db design is of utmost important to know how your data logic flows.

Another important aspect is your backup strategy in event of a system or database crash.

Reindexing, proper space allocation, database optimization, server speed (cpu, memory, disk I/o) are some other things that a DBA needs to know at his tips to manage his server well and avoid many problems before hand.

Do you use the performance monitor to do that?

The most important thing to understand is how the database is used:
1) Talk to the end users. Watch them use the program, see how information is entered, where and how it is used.
2) You can then use the diagrams function in Enterprise Manager to see how the backend works. (Log into Enterprise manager - keep on clicking plus signs on the left till you see the Databases. Click the plus sign next to the database in question. Click on diagrams.) If you're lucky someone has already set up a few for you. If not, it will walk you through what to do when you add a new diagram.
3) Perhaps the largest issue you will face in day to day aspects of DBA is tracking down issues in a database. User says "I entered x here, but it's not showing on the report." It usually falls on you to go into the data to find out why.
4) Yes, backing up the database, etc.. is important too.

Yes. I use the Performance Monitor on regular basis to test if my server is running well under the current work load. I at times sit at nights to see what is my server status when the workload is less and what other things I can accompalish to use up this time to tasks which take up most of the server resources.

Hope this helps.

--Kishore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back