Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What can be wrong with this DNSless connection. Can't UPDATE/INSERT

Status
Not open for further replies.

joffer

Technical User
May 23, 2003
US
I use this strings to connect to a DNSless access file:

Set Conn = Server.Createobject("ADODB.Connection")
Conn.Connectionstring = "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("/") & "database.mbd"
Conn.Open

When i try to do a INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE i always get:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query.
/asp/update.asp, line 50

--> [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query.

I am able to do a SELECT * FROM myTable with the same connection string.

Any suggestions what can be wrong?

click right on the .mdb file, then properties, security, then... allow write

I hope that was a typo, but your database should be named database.MDB...not mbd...

strconn = "Driver={SQL Server};Description=sqldemo;SERVER=127.0.0.1;UID=LoginID;PWD=Password;DATABASE=Database_Name
set conn = server.createobject("adodb.connection")
conn.open strconn

Joffer - can you confirm that the query causing this error can be run from within Access itself (ie. you can paste the SQL into the query designer SQL window and not get the same error). It doesn't sound like a DNS problem to me.

Lpic - yes a typo

HectorTheDog - yes, all code works fine on my two development computers (winnt4/pws and Win2k/pws) but when i upload to the server i get this.

I'm all about to find me another isp/host.

I've sometimes gotten an error like this:

Error desc. -> [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed

I use TableWiz for creating connections and basic table production. It has worked every time.

I think your problem roots in your file security settings.
The IUSR_servername property should be enabled to write
into the database from an other page using a client browser
by somebody from outside.

Go to Internet Information Services on your web server, and
select your database, then choose properties/File Security.
Choose Edit at "Anonymus access...", and simply enable
anonymus access. This should help...

Ayac

I'm not using PWS and I can not get a reasonable answer by anyone on how to fix this problem if I am using ws_ftp to connect to a remote server...please help...thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back